My friend had a head injury last week. She was ok until yesterday when she had to go to doctor. She had a very strong headache and her doctor thinks that she need to go to surgery because she has hematoma. ANyone had surgery for subdural hematoma? Tell me something about recovery.

Hi! I know something about surgery for subdural hematoma because my father had a it two years ago. I can tell you that if treatment is provided soon enough, recovery is usually complete. Your friend may have some problems for some time after surgery, like attention problems, amnesia and headaches.

my mother had the same problem no relief from headache yet 14 days after surgery

HELP we are getting nowhere with the doctors, she was perfectly healthy until a plane trip to Florida

I have had one surgery for a blood clot in my brain when I was 10 with complete recovery.

Since then I have had two other surgeries for subdural hemotomas - I suffered some word association problems and fatigue and headaches - but have been much better for the last few years. I still have a fixed pupil on my right side.

Recovery certainly depends on following your neruosurgeions advice!

I had one in my second year of college. There were two clots - one the size of a golf ball and the other the size of a hockey puck. I was out of the hospital after three days (i think) and took two weeks off from class. I did end up having to drop one that semester and probably should've dropped more, but was stubborn. Classes became markedly more difficult - especially tests. I remember describing what it felt like using computers as an analogy. It was like I had grown up using a PC and was very accustomed to the PC. All of the sudden, I switched to a Mac. I still knew how to work computers, but the icons were different, the mouse was different, and everything was in a new place. So I could study for hours as I had before, but once I attempted to recall it... it was like it was in a new place and I couldn't remember how to get there.

If your friend is in school, you may suggest (when he/she goes back) that they look into getting on disability. It helped to have a little more time on tests.

It goes away, though. Or you adjust, i guess. It's been five years now and I feel normal.

My dad had surgery for a subdural hemotoma and all went well but it has been 3 weeks and he still can't sleep for more than 1 hour at night. We have tried a couple of sleeping pills and they have not worked. Does anyone know of anything that works.

I had my burr hole surgery 10 months ago. I had a head trauma from playing basketball.My first CT scan was clear and I didn't have headaches at that time,the headaches came 2 weeks after the 1st scan. I waited for almost 3 weeks before I went in for another scan. The result showed a huge clot.The only treatment for it is a burr hole surgery. The surgery went well and I discharged after 5 days. I still have headaches every now and then. Though the doctor told me I can go back doing what I was doing before the surgery,I still haven't tried playing ball yet or even jogging. I tried jogging once but I had slight headache after,so up to now I'm still stuck with walking. I really can't wait to get back on my feet 100%. I feel fine though,it's just that I am a very athletic person and I'm not used to just sitting and walking around.Anybody who's been through this and got back on their feet quickly? Thank.

hi , my mother has a the same problem after a plane trip to overseas

she is been under watch for a month and a half

just wanted to see how your mom did after surgery

any info appreciated

I had a burr hole surgery for my chronic subdural hematoma last year,I was fine after the surgery though till now headaches come and go. I'm basically fine but I couldn't push myself too hard physically. I used to be very active physically before the surgery,I go to the gym 4 times a week and play basketball on weekends. I'm not as active as before,I started running just last month and started going back to the gym 3 weeks ago. I noticed that every time I push myself I get headaches and shoulder pain (shoulder pain's probably due to how I was positioned when I had the surgery) Your friend should be fine since she didn't have the loss of consciousness event. Tell me how it went though.

In 2008 I collapsed at work and hit my head on a metal post, causing a shock wave around my skull. I had a Sub-Dural form whilst I was in a coma for 2 weeks. As soon as it was ok to operate, they did.

I won't lie bud, it took me a while to get my memory sorted, but now after all this I am a captain of a Paintball team and living life to the full.

I had emergency surgery for subdural hematoma twice in Nov. 2012. First one was major with bone flap and suction of blood, the second with burr hole drainage. I'm very active, too - but I've been in no hurry to get too physical too soon. I nearly died, and my family is nervous, too. Walking was vital exercise until mid-January, and now I am doing water aerobics - mild at first but increasing each week. I heard a football player talk about his 20 knee surgeries and how the hardest part for him was coming to emotional grips with his "new normal" being less than it was. He did get back to 100%, and won a Superbowl, but it was just a different level of 100%. I took that to mean that I can't be frightened or discouraged - but give myself a break and be PATIENT! (I must have missed that class in school!) Don't give up.

I had a acute subdural hematoma operated on in October 2013, apparentley very lucky to still be around, not all injuries are acute. I spent 6 weeks in hospital recovering, two weeks longer than normal as I had a grand mal seizure one week after the operation. Do not allow the medical staff push you out early.  Recovery is slow, do not do any strenous excercise for at least 3 months, dont rush back to work and just take it easy. Do not go swimming unless supervised in case you have a seizure. I found the hardest part was feeling great after the operation like nothing happened then gradually went down hill, started to talk funny and dribble at the mouth then the seizure hit. After this I was so scared of sleeping and being left alone. This doesnt happen to everyone! So dont worry be strong, I went from failing every test to now walking, talking, memory starting to come back almnost like new, its not been 3 months and will take up to 2 years to fully recover. Keep smiling as the worst part is the emotional swings

I had two subdural hematoma 7 years ago and is lucky that I still have control over my body and language. I still suffer from a strange headache, though. Anyone who knows if it's possible to get rid of that?

I had burhole surgery for a chronic subdural haematoma (sounds like your friend has this). I was sat on a chair 4 hours after surgery looking out the window feeling very good, well, really absolutely normal. I was out of the hospital in 3 days. This happened two weeks ago. I have no memory problems or weakness and don't think I have any problems as a result of the surgery. Recovery can be rapid. Best wishes to your friend for a full recovery.

I had one Sept 30, 2014. I had a 6" craniotomy cut into my skull. I was in the hospital for 6 days, recovery had me basically not being able to sleep well for about two weeks, 3-4 hits a day where my entire side went numb randomly for 10-20 minutes, until it eventually stopped happening after about 8 weeks. Lots of anxiety initially, some head aches though nothing too bad and some mild nausea. I barely took any pain killers when at the hospital, it didn't hurt that much to be honest. I was walking the next day, talking, feeling fine, etc. Dr told me 12 months for full recovery, but at 6 months, I feel almost 100%. Slight pulling where they cut my scalp and general weakness from muscle atrophy. Looking forward to going back to the gym. I was a pretty luck case. Blood in my head was a couple months old, couldn't even remember hitting my head anywhere.... Symptoms that brought me in was simply that my left side went numb for 10 minutes one day, figured it was a stroke. Man was I surprised when they told me I had blood in my head....