My surgery was May 3rd. I developed several hematomas and have had them drained three times. The swelling is still very noticable. I am on medication, however, it just doesn't seem to be working. I've been using a heating pad carefully for several days and doing facial massages being careful not to stretch the skin. I still have lots of numbness... of which doesn't surprise me nor bothers me much. Actually sort of glad since I never feel the draining procedure when it's done.
Has anyone else had to deal with hematomas? I just wish there was a quicker way to get rid of them. Hopefully I will not have to go back into surgery. I have two reunions to attend in mid and late Juy. I sure hope to be looking a lot better than I do now!
Interesting how no one seems to have been prepared for the length of time it takes to recuperate from the surgery. Do we not ask enough questions or do doctors just sort of skim over that part?
The depression was certainly a surprise to me, however, I think much of it is due to a lack of sleep and having to sleep on my back... something I have never liked.
Thank goodness I found this site. Wish I had found it earlier!
Good luck to all who are recuperating.

It's June 8 and still having problems with the hematomas. Very little reduction in size. So discouraged! Will see the doctor on Monday. What I have to be careful with is making sure they do not become as hard as a rock. That means more surgery. I have also learned not to use warm compresses. We may need to use ultrasound treatment.

Hey,, I had surgery on Jan 17 and ended up back in the OR on the 29th for an emergency incision and drainage of a hematoma,,,turns out I blew a temporal artery,,,pretty scary. I think I over did it,, not taking the proper precautions for bending and lifting. And yes if feels like the swelling is taking forever to subside...I feel a tingling sensation, prickley, my face feels like it swells and then not..

Does anyone else get these sensations? I feel lucky "an artery" counting my blessing, and almost wishing I didn't have the surgery, but too late now and making the best of it....

I also have those sensations and regrets. I wish I had known about the Fraxel laser. I had a face and neck lift 1/15/08 and have a very large hematoma under my chin and along my jaw. My doctor said it will be absorbed in time and will see me in 6 months. It has gotten a little smaller but is still hard and is painful every morning when I wake up. I'm afraid my necklift will be ruined as a result of this. I look like I have a double chin now. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Did their hematoma ever get absorbed? Any advice on what to do other than just wait. Thank you so much.

I just read your message from 3/21/08. I had a facelift on May 6. I was not at all prepared for what was going to happen to my face/neck/ears. The swelling comes and goes but mostly stays. There are hard places in my cheeks and especially under my jaw. The worst thing, though is my ears. They have been swollen and hard and there is a big lump of scar tissue in the back of my ears from top to bottom. I wonder if I will ever be able to wear earrings again. I was expecting the bruising (which is just about gone now), but not the extent of the swelling/hardness. Can you give me some hope for the future since it has been four months since your surgery?

Would like to hear from anyone. Thanks so much.

Hi to all above.
Backstory: 50 y/o F. June 13 had necklift/minilift with lipo, upper and lower bleph, endotine brow lift, botox, and CO2 laser.
So... Swelling -- oh boy, yes inDEED! The MAIN reason I went in was cuz I HATED my neck and now I look like I have a chubby double chin! NOT the effect I was hoping for! LOL And hardness you say?!?! Oh ya... big time. And weird pulling under my ears if I turn my head to fast or too hard. Is it a hematoma under my chin -- prolly. And that's just a pool of blood and MOST of the time they disipate on their own -- but it's part of the healing process. No need to worry unless it's been 6 months... then you just might need it surgically drained -- and after what we've been thru, that's a cake walk!
Eyes are GREAT... except for the SWELLING. ESPECIALLY in the inner corners -- I get these sacs of fluid in the corners every morning -- all stretched out -- they look like little pillows! UG-LY. I have to push on them during the day to force the fluids out. And my lids are WAY puffy.
Laser is fabulous!
Some things I learned (and some are pretty good I think):
1) by FAR the BEST thing to put on your face AFTER the laser has peeled is A&D ointment -- it is the ONLY thing I've found that actually moisturizes my skin especially under my eyes where the laser seems to have done a very thorough job! I had dry skin to start with so it's been a life saver... and no, vaseline and aquaphor just weren't' enough (post laser I mean).
2) forget sleeping horizontal for a loooooong time -- unless you like that stuffed sausage look! From others I've spoken too they said just get over it and accept that it takes about EIGHT weeks till you can lie less than a 45 degree angle and not get swelling. And I have a great bed so it's killing me!
3) hard and tight is a GOOD thing. Cuz in about six months, which is how long it takes to get to the point where you actually feel normal again, your skin/muscle will have stretched a little to accommodate your new face -- and you don't want it to be saggy at that point! IT WILL GET BETTER!!! Your lumps will go away, the hardness will dissipate, you'll be able to smile again and not feel like a walking case of rictus!
4) those lumps behind your ears etc, will ALL relax as your new face begins to fit itself -- remember -- we've just traumatized ourselves BIG TIME -- if we'd been in a car accident or something we wouldn't be expecting to be all better after 3/4 weeks or even 3/4 months, but cuz our expectations are so high we figured we'd have immediate results!
5) I researched the daylights outa every procedure I was getting so I was totally prepared for the tightness, bruising, hardness, numbness, depression, 'regret' etc. Knowing it was coming I was prepared so when I find myself feeling blue and asking wtf did I do, I can calm myself down... ok that an occasional Xanax, but that's what it's there for!
Ladies -- we just need to have FAITH. It will all work out. I'm sure that the majority of us will be able to post HAPPY things here 6 months from now. Even when I go out now with makeup (d'oh!), people comment on how rested I look -- how good the summer must be (I'm a teacher), etc. so I know it's working so far.
Healing is a long hard process. Drink OODLES of water (if your urine is yellow you're not drinking enough -- it should be clear), cuz that's how you flush toxins outa your body. Eat a VERY well balanced diet without salt. Take a 23/30 min walk daily. Sleep sitting up. MOISTURIZE. Ice yourself if you're too puffy. Take ibuprofen regularly for inflammation. And think POSITIVE THOUGHTS... You're going to be beautiful and look great and it will be worth it!
Ok -- thump -- that's the sound of me jumping down offa my soap box, but I hope this helped at least a little... keep smiling!

Amy 00 wrote:

Anita1961 wrote:

Hi -- I also HAD the double chin thing (see below) and have found the best, and for me, the ONLY way to treat the under the chin swelling and hematomas is I take a strip of low tack surgical tape about 5 inches long and 2 of those white cotton squares used to remove makeup, I fold the 2 in half and stick them onto the tape strip. I use 2 sets of those side by side which leaves just a little tape exposed on the end so it's kinda like a thick bandaid. I tape that under my chin and THEN wrap an ace bandage around my head and under my neck over the 'band-aid'. Fairly snug so that it pushes the swelling up and forces the fluid out. My doctor says it was a brilliant idea (aw gee shucks), and the next morning was MUCH improved. I do it every night now. If I'm particularly hot and swollen, I ice for 20 minutes first THEN put it on.
Oh, and a side note - forget sleeping in your bed -- or least forget sleeping FLAT for quite a while. I'm 4 weeks post op -- tried my bed again 3 days ago and PAID THE PRICE so I'm back to the sofa. I hate it but I hate being all swollen more. Oh, and I still ice -- 2x a day or more if I'm feeling really puffy. We have to remember, fluid is a GOOD thing -- our body is working over time to fix the pretty big trauma we elected to self-inflict and it takes TIME TIME TIME. Overall my doc is blown away with how fast I'm healing and I know it's cuz I think positive AND am VERY pro-active.
Ok -- that's all for now! :D

Hi, did you have a lift in Mexico or US? I just had it done in NY 10 days ago and am really concerned because it is very lumpy and hard all over; also there is like a bubble or fat pocket along my right cheek. I am very very depressed and I almost never get depressed. I am from Mx and don't want to return looking like this! I look freaky. How do you know if you have a hematoma? How long does it take for the lumps to go down? I haven't a clue what that fat pocket is, they say it isn't a fat pocket but they have to 'wait' for it to 'resolve'. I am getting very concerned about it. I had had it done about 15 yrs ago and never had problems like this; I returned home in 10 days and no one knew the difference..............(different doctor now).....

I had the lift now exactly 10 days ago and have extreme lumpiness and hardness, how do i know if something is a hematoma or not? What bothers me more than anything is this pouch on my right cheek, it is a puffiness or pouch or something, I can't describe, but looks terrible. The nurse said it was surrounding area swelling or stitches underneath but the doctor said it had to resolve, he was quite evasive; i was hoping he would say that this is very common and it will definitely disappear but he didn't so i am very nervous. I also live out of the US and came here just for the lift expecting to return in 2 weeks (I stayed l week prior to the op) and now I am here one month and will not go back looking like this.....this is affecting my business and my family and everything. I had had a lift 15 years ago that went very well, i was back home in 10 days, no lumps, no hardness, and no one knew a thing. Has anyone had this 'pouch' or fat pocket (the doc says its not a fat pocket but he doesn't really say what it is, only that it's only been 10 days and he has to wait until it resolves)...........I am seeing him again on Monday, I ask for an appt practically every day I am so depressed and anxious about this.

I had face and neck lift August 15 with emergency surgery immediately after recovery due to a hematoma in my neck. My doctor said the hematoma pretty much changed everything as far as my recovery time, but that the end results would be the same. I trust him a lot but it helped me to know there are folks enduring the same symptoms and time restraints that I have. I think whether you have a hematoma or not should be something you are sure of and not questioning. Once you know that's what you're dealing with, at least you know all the symptoms are normal. Still, it's hard to accept several weeks instead of 10-14 days of recovery. I have had days of sadness and questioning if it was worth it or ever will be. I have traded droopy lids and jowls for Frankenstein neck. Even with the turtlenecks, it's obvious something is very wrong. So, I'm still hiding out and just thankful that my doctor is concerned and supportive. Those things worth waiting for are often not easy to obtain.

I had a neck only lift 4 weeks a ago. I am 44 yrs. old, my neck did not look that bad, it was just starting to loose some definition under my neck and I thought I would do this while I was young and healthy and it would not look like i had anything done.
I am a bit down now. I feel I looked better before. It is the swelling. My right side looks just about normal but my left side is swollen. I never had fat under my neck and now it looks like I could use liposuction.

Still have numbing, more on that side and more pain on that side. Tight all over. I could deal with the tightness but the swelling upsets me. I am very active love pilates and feel i cant do anything. I tried to do pilates a week ago and was so much more swollen.
Just wondering if this is normal, I want to go see the doc.
Can anyone tell me if it were a hematoma how i would know. Or is it just swelling. Last I saw the doc he said it was a little swollen. 1 week and 2 days ago.

thanks for any input.

quote="KarenNMexico"]My surgery was May 3rd. I developed several hematomas and have had them drained three times. The swelling is still very noticable. I am on medication, however, it just doesn't seem to be working. I've been using a heating pad carefully for several days and doing facial massages being careful not to stretch the skin. I still have lots of numbness... of which doesn't surprise me nor bothers me much. Actually sort of glad since I never feel the draining procedure when it's done.
Good luck to all who are recuperating.

i had a S lift aug 22nd, and developed a hematoma on my left side of my face. it hasnt gone down at all. the doctor aspirated 3x but it just filled up again. Im scared because he may have to go in and scrape it out. Im so depressed. -- Wishing I never had the surgery in the first place.

Hi to everyone

I am 5 and a half weeks post facelift and eye lid surgery...upper and lower.
Reading all the postings here have reassured me immensly, even tho' I did a great deal of research before going under the knife too. I look at myself in the mirror every day and take pictures every few days but I don't really look hard at myself....I know it's me in the mirror because I'm the one standing in front of it but I do look different and not just more rested.
I think my eye surgery removed some of my sense of self. I am a quarter native Canadian and I think that some of that droopy upper eyelid was because of my lineage, not just age....Oh, well, I asked for this , no one tied me down and cut my face off. In fact , I told everybody before I had the surgery and so many people said that I didn't need it or shouldn't get it...."What if you look like you were in a wind tunnel?" I just said that I was only worried about looking like Nicolas Cage..anyone seen the movie "Face off?"
So, I have the stiff neck thing, the bubbles at the corners of my eyes, swelling and numbness in front of and behind my ears and really dry eyes. I didn't know I could massage the swelling away gently.
And having been told that it may take up to a year to look like the finished product, I'm not worried. I feel great now that I've read all your comments. I've been sleeping flat for a couple weeks now...no wonder my eyes and neck and everything except my nose is swollen in the morning. I do drink lots of water but need to walk more.
I have or had most of the "symptoms" mentioned by everyone else except the hemotomas and was expecting it all except that neck tightening. Good to know it's common.. once I figure out how to work this site more...I'll post some pics.

i am so glad to find this! i have been so traumatised by the lumps that have appeared to the left of my mouth and in the middle of my right cheek. i had my lower face lift and upper eyes done four weeks ago and these lumps must have been there,but notice more now the swelling has gone down slightly.i also find that my face swells up then goes down at least every couple of hours.my surgeon said the lumps will go down.i knew it would take a few months to look normal,but no-one told me about the lumps ,i feel depressed

Had lower face lift and upper eyelid surgery 7 Oct exactly 3 months ago. My eyes look like they did 20 years ago however my lower face and neck are still problematic. I developed a large haematoma on the left of my face and neck and a small one on the right a couple of days after surgery. I put this down to all the vomiting and retching I did. They said I had developed the worst blackest bruising they had ever seen. I also had sub-conjunctival haematoma in both eyes, this in itself took 4 weeks to dissipate. My haematoma is subsiding extremely slowly and the bruising is still present on neck and left of face.I use Dermablend make-up to hide this. I have been told it will take 6 months for the haematoma to disappear. My neck now looks like a double chin which I never had before and my mouth and nose to mouth lines still look no different. The stinging and tingling at side around ears and neck is only relieved by pressing my skin as if to stick it back to its sub-structure. Wish I'd just had eyes done and some filler around the mouth to lift it.