The pain will be there for a few more weeks off and on. You just have to bare with it. Its a terrible pain to say the least. Your right sitting in the sitz bath with your cheeks spread does not make it feel any better but you need to get that wound dried put and cleaned.

Has anybody ever had their procedure done in the office? I have had internal and external ones since giving birth to my oldest 20 yrs ago. Usually they come and go and you deal with it a couple of days, this time the pain was going on almost a week so I decided to get it checked out. I went to my drs. and he said "I can take care of that here". okay so that sounded great. He had me roll on my side and gave me a local injection in the crack of my a.. while I was completely awake then started to cut them out. Long story short, it took about 10-15 min and he showed me what "they" looked like. I had one large thrombosed about the size of a grape and another one thrombosed about the size of a nut. He showed me where the clot was in each. okay so I think great they are gone! My physician downplayed everything!!!!!!!! He said I could go back to work the next day if I wanted. He gave me a script for Darvocet and the nurse said oh honey you shouldnt need those. I drove myself home which wasnt bad since I still had lidocaine up my a.. but about an hour later I thought I was gonna die!!!!It is day 12 and though I feel alot better its the BM's that are killer. I still can not use the bathroom without jumping in the tub or shower. I have not been to work yet cuz I have Chrones and the thought of eating lunch and having a bm at work makes me terrified. I keep having to call the drs office to extend my leave. I felt like such a sissy until I found this board. Thank you soo much, it makes me feel a ton better about myself!!! Any other advice or anyone ever had it done in the office like that before? I work in the hospital as an xray tech and all my rn friends think its frkn crazy that this dr. did this in the office!! >:(

2 Weeks ago (early July) had 3 columns of internal 'roids and a large ugly external 'roid "done," apparently with staples inside (i.e., I've been too bombed out on narcotics to pay much attn. to the exact details but plan to get them at 1 mo. follow up).

Why have them done??? For me -- internals were bleeding, sometimes months on end (ok, pun) and I wound up anemic and scared to death (the sight of lots of blood tends to do that to me). The external ones were ugly but technically not something I would have sought surgery for although the internal ones were begging for help (oddly they didn't hurt, just made a mess).

I'm in my upper 40's with three non-c-section-born children -- I credit them for the externals, but suspect diet (IBS/diarrhea = LOW fiber) probably aggravated the internals (also a topic I plan to follow up @ dr. appt.).

RE the TOPIC LINE ABOVE: I highly recommend having this operation when you are young and "fit" IF YOU HAVE THE CHOICE TO DO SO (and my heart goes out to anyone not physically strong or needing to go to surgery without much warning). I am saying this to encourange anyone AVOIDING IT HOPING IT WILL GO AWAY. Find out if your SPECIALIST colo-rectal surgeon recommends it for the present time and just do it now because it will inevitably get harder as you age. Case in point --- even getting up off the toilet puts a strain on that patootie (read PAIN). I wish I had a safety grab bar. Getting in and out of the tub is presumably a tough maneuver. I used sitz bath on toilet downstairs -- (side note, keep paper towels around, the floor gets wet) and the frequently mentioned hand-held shower head in master bath upstairs (yes, it truly is a Godsend; it did make me wonder about those tub fixture attachments for washing dogs -- would that work??).

As far as discretionary scheduling: For me, favorably it's summer, so it doesn't take forever to get warm water to the tap. Also wearing comfy clothes like pull on shorts, camisoles, etc seems to be easier than bundling up. Of course if you have no choice there are ways to make the best of any situation, cold weather is not my area of expertise.

Regarding post-op; in my case I had toradol (anti-inflammatory) and percocet. It seemed I would be able to lower to 1/2 tablet percocet BEFORE my initial b.m. (NAIVE!!!) I wasn't sure how long I should wait for the grand movement and the surgery was Tuesday so Friday morning still being blissfully b.m. free I decided to follow the handout from the dr. and do another enema. OMYGOSH WHAT WAS I THINKING???? That saline burns like none other!!! It didn't hurt during the prep the morning of the surgery, how was I to know this was different??? Duh. So try to get things moving without an enema, just a tip from "my butt's on fire!!!" Within minutes got a little bit out but a few hours later was the main event. This was accompanied by nausea, sweating, dizziness, nearly blacking out. When I called to talk to the nurse a little later, she said something about colon spasm but I didn't get any valium for another few days when I was that needy patient calling in every other day. I think they probably should have written for the valium at the same time as everything else with instructions on what spasm experience is like and appropriate usage of valium to make it stop!!! I don't know if you guys are spiritual but singing hymns helps the pain!!! I also had a small b/w television on the bathroom counter which was a good distraction if something of any value was on (PBS!!).

I'm sorry there's such a social stigma about this because I find myself trying to avoid being indelicate when mentioning "my surgery." If you're able to confide in friends (I don't think you can hide it from housemates haha, they'll hear the screaming) and ask for support it is a blessing. They can leave you messages on your machine (you're supposed to be sleeping or at least not driving if you're loopy on codeine), pray for you, pick up some more lentil soup & saltines -- okay that was random -- and you can give them the url of this post so they can see you're not a nutcase for taking so long to heal!!!!!!! Thanks to all who have written before, I feel so comforted knowing I'm not the only one going through this because much of the time I don't feel understood by my family & friends.

I have been battling internal and external hemorrhoids now for two years, and finally had a thrombosed external removed 7 days ago. I have read many of these posts, which have a lot of useful info, but I am having an issue I have not come across.

The first few days post surgery were very painful with bleeding and the dreadful bm. About five days after the surgery, the bleeding seems to be better expect post bm; however, I am experiencing pus issues, and extreme shooting pain when I move just right or try to wipe after a bm. The pain is to the point where I essentially cannot wipe. The pain post surgery was very bad, but this is much worse and basically paralyzes my whole body.

Has anyone experienced this sharp pain, or should I get checked for infection?

Thanks,
Number 3

It's been 2 weeks since I've had two external 'roids removed, as well as a couple of other colorectal procedures.

Now, I'm under 30, so your results may vary. The first couple of days were horrendous. I spent my days and nights lying on the couch, either with a book or the PlayStation 3 to keep me company. That, and a combination of Percocet and Advil Migraine (Alternated every 2 hours). I didn't like the Percocet very much; it didn't do a whole lot to reduce the pain, but it sure did make me paranoid at nighttime. In about 8 or 9 days, I'd stopped taking it altogether - which was also not very pleasant, as I developed night sweats and had a difficult time sleeping.

Still do, actually.

It's funny that the first day of the surgery, I was on my feet and wondering what all the fuss was about. Normally, anaesthetic doesn't last very long in my system, and I thought that since my operation took place in the afternoon, the effects would've worn off by late evening.

Not quite. They wore off at around 1am, while I was trying to sleep. That night, came the most horrendous bout of pain and discomfort I've ever felt. I snatched sleep in 1-2 hour swatches before being awakened by fiery agony.

Adding to the discomfort, I had a very difficult time urinating the next morning. It took about 5 minutes of standing around and thinking happy thoughts, before being able to coax out a weak, thin stream. After that ordeal had ended, a staggering bout of nausea - from the surgical anaesthetic or the painkillers, I'm not sure which - dropped me to the ground and kept me there for a short spell. My wife had to help me back to the couch (Not an easy feat, me being a foot taller and 80 lbs heavier), and I decided to stay put unless fire, flood, tornado, or some other act of God drove me from my refuge.

That day, and for most of the next ten, my diet consisted of oatmeal, fruits (e.g. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, mango, peaches), water, and Metamucil. I cut out sugar, meat, and dairy altogether. I had bagels occasionally, but learned the hard way to shun the ones sprinkled with sesame seeds. I will discuss those vicious little bastards in a minute.

I was not able to have a BM until the 3rd day - the urge took me suddenly, as I was changing my gauze and dressings. As I was discarding the material, I felt a slithering in the pit of my stomach, and thought "Oh wonderful. Here it comes."

What I thought was a BM turned out to be an ejection of the clotted blood that had amassed since the surgery. It was a very unpleasant thing to behold, and more unpleasant to think that this lingering pain was for nothing. The following day brought worse tidings. Since I'd cleansed my GI tract with sena tea the day before the surgery, it took a while for stool to form.

I wasn't aware until that day, that a human could pass gravel, glass shards, and barbed wire - and live to talk about it. I didn't even bother checking before flushing, because I was convinced that that's what it was. Those sesame seeds I mentioned earlier? The little buggers became stony slivers, and it takes a bit of time to make sure that they are 100% cleaned up. I recommend not eating foods that contain them. Chunky peanut butter as well, unless you have some sort of bizarre affection for pain. Afterwards, it took a few minutes for a warm bath with epsom salts and a capful of Dettol to ease the pain.

This continued for the next few days, and the pain with BMs did not subside. It only got worse. When it had reached its crescendo, I found myself saying prayers in the bathtub and asking God to relieve the pain.

That night, I began adding witch hazel and aloe to my gauze pads. This, along with meditation, caused a sudden transformation the next day. It was now the following Wednesday (1 week since the surgery), and the amount of blood on the gauze had lessened considerably. By last Friday, there was none at all, and gauze was unnecessary. I was also able to sit upright for short stretches of time, as well as take walks outdoors.

I must stress that getting up and walking around is absolutely essential. Lying in bed all day only slows the recovery, and will probably make your BMs that much more difficult. Also, do not skimp on fibrous foods. Do what your doctor recommends, and add Metamucil to your liquids 2x/day. I opted for the coarse fibre, and combined with the stool softener, it worked wonderfully for me.

This past Tuesday, 13 days since the surgery, I returned to work for 7 hours. Yesterday, I worked the desk for 6 hours. Today, I'm in for the whole day. Aside from occasional itching as my stitches dissolve and my body heals, I am fully functional. There is only a slight bit of discomfort with BMs - and I won't even complain about that, since there was much more pain and discomfort during the time when I had 2 external hemorrhoids to deal with.

Would I recommend the surgery to anyone else?

Only if your hemorrhoids are so chronic and painful, as to interfere with your daily routine. This was why I opted for the surgery; I was at a point where I would sometimes go an entire day without BM, in order that my day wouldn't be thrown off by having to sit around and nurse myself better. I also would only recommend this if there is someone around the home for at least half of the entire day. I don't know how I'd have managed to eat or get to the bath without my wife's help.

So it's been 15 days, and everything's nearly back to normal. I thank God, my wife, and my sister for the aid in recovery. I also thank my doc for being realistic with me about the recovery time. In fact, I was not supposed to have returned to work until the middle of next week, but got the go-ahead this past Monday.

I hope this helps anyone with questions.

I came across this site the day before my surgery. I nearly cancelled having read about all the pain everyone has gone through during their recovery. But I did go through with the surgery and I'm really glad I read all of your posts. It helped me to through all of the pain knowing that others had gone through this as well.

I had an external hemorrhoid removed in April 08. I felt ok after I woke up from the surgery and the ride home was ok. But that night after the local anestetic wore off, it was very uncomfortable. The pain med (I think it's called oxycodone) made me sleep, but I would wake up after an hour or two in a lot of pain. This continued throughout the night every 4 hours that I took my pain meds. The next morning when I got out of bed, I nearly passed out and had dry heaves because of the pain meds.

The worst of the pain for me lasted about 2 weeks. During that time I didn't want to eat because of the pain of having BM. But because I didn't have much food in me I wouldn't have to go for 2 or 3 days and the BM would get kind of hard. For me stuff like eating lots of veggies and fruits, taking fiber supplements, drinking lots of water and even taking stool softeners don't work. Probably why I had hemorrhoids. So I was stuck in this crazy cycle of not eating much and then having hard BM.

The weird thing is that a couple of days before my surgery, my mother had to go to emergency because of a bleeding ulcer. I don't know how the subject came about, but the ER doctor told my mother about a laxative called Miralax. My wife had bought it for me, but at first I was afraid to try it after the surgery since I wasn't sure how it would affect me. I finally decided to try it and to my surprise, the next day my BM was nice and soft without being runny. I wished that I had started taking it right after the surgery. It's been over 3 months since the surgery and I still take it every day. I'm not sure if it's safe to take it long term, but when I think about going through another surgery, I'll take my chances.

I did develop a tag on my butt, I believe because of the hard BM. The doctor cut it off in his office during one of my follow up exams. He didn't even warn me. Naturally I kind of jumped and he tells me not to move!! That was about a month after the surgery. After I healed from that cutting I think that I'm "fully" recovered. I still have some itching after going BM, but so far no bleeding. Although it did take about 2 months before my leaking stopped.

Thanks for letting me share this experience. I guess at this point I'm glad I had the surgery, but I'm not sure if I would go through it again. My heart goes out to all of you who are recovering from surgery and to those who are having problems with hemorrhoids and are thinking about having surgery.

I had an external hemorrhoid removed in April 08. The worst of the pain for me lasted about 2 weeks. During that time I didn't want to eat because of the pain of having BM. But because I didn't have much food in me I wouldn't have to go for 2 or 3 days and the BM would get kind of hard. For me stuff like eating lots of veggies and fruits, taking fiber supplements, drinking lots of water and even taking stool softeners don't work. Probably why I had hemorrhoids. So I was stuck in this crazy cycle of not eating much and then having hard BM.

I had my surgery done 8 days ago. If I had found this site before I would never had it done! My drs. staff failed to tell me about or give me the cocktail to clean me out prior to the operation. The morning of the dr said he could still do it. After the procedure I was told the he put a dressing inside of my a... ok fine. The next day I way still feeling fine and called my brother in law a baby because he kept complaining of his excruciating pain for almost 2 weeks and I was fine. Well day 3 came and still no BM we called the dr he made my husband go get dulcolax I took this, about 6 hours later i had stomach cramps from hell and pressure like no other. The dr said make sure you don't strain the pressure was so intense you had to do whatever you could for reflief anyway I finally passed this "dressing" it was about 3 inches long and 3/4 of an inch diameter then this big explosion from the laxative stitches tore. I jumped into a hot tub prepared for the worst and oh yes it was bad. It was worse than giving birth. The dr insisted on soups lots of liquids etc. 3 more days went by no BM again the dulcolax the stomach cramps, torn stitches etc. My backside looks worse then it did to begin with. Well i now am on strickly liquids i don't care what the dr says. i can't handle another episode although I don't know if i should take stool softners with water and broths? Good luck to all and God Bless you because you will need it.

So I went in to the Dr on thursday of the week prior due to a thrmobosed external hemorrhoid that was huge. About the size of two grapes. So, Dr sausage fingers examines me and tells the wife and I "it has to be done tomorrow, no exceptions" (Hemorrhoidectomy) The though of having my lower region cut didn't sound promising so I asked if it would heal on its own. He said "no, it'll only get bigger" So he perscribes some ban cream the pharmacy had to make and I went home. I came across this website, while laying in agony waiting for my surgery the next morning at 3:00am... 3 in the morning. Anyhow, I chickened out and called them to cancel.

The nurse, who one day prior had told me it was a must suddenly changes her story. She said "well, I only have an opening 2 weeks from now and by then it should resolve on its own"

What the heck is this all about? If it takes 2-4 weeks to go away on its own or more than a month with surgery, why would I want to have surgery? This started tuesday (a week ago) and its already half the size it was. The pain is still there, and more pain than I think I can take sometimes, but its much less pain over time and Ice seems to help.

My wife is a nurse and gave me soem really simple suggestions that work WONDERS!

1. Ice. 15-30 minutes every hour (life saver)
2. Fiber. Lots and lots of fiber
3. The ban cream
4. Ultram
5. Laying down

Now, I'm fortunate enough to be a stay at home father of older children that pretty much do their own thing. In fact, instaed of me cooking for them the past week, they've been cooking for me. Pretty wonderful, ey? Anyhow, I've spent my last 4 days laying on my couch and only leaving my house once and I'm slowly getting better. I'm please that I dodged the bullet this time and I think within 2 weeks I'll be like new again. I will however post once a week until this is over so others who googleed as I did will have a scale of sorts.

I will saying one thing though. My Dr was 100% sure on thursday it had to be removed and 90% sure on friday it didn't. The pain is unbearable at times, but the surgery would appear to be much worse. If you're thinking surgery, weigh your options out. some will have to have surgery, others will not. I would get a second opinion at very least before allowing this type of surgery to happen.

I did find some interesting things I'd never thought of while reading away my pain this week. I know a few things i'm doing wrong.

1. I eat a low fiber diet. according to most sites I've read, our bm should be the consistancy of peanut butter. yeah, gross huh? I figure if you're here, you've dealt with worse.

2. Toilet position means everythign. I oftne read while I'm on the toilet. THIS IS WRONG. If you can't do your business within 3 minutes. Get up and move around. more than 3-5 minutes on the toilet at a time will cause hemorrhoids.

3. Caffiene. A few sites I've read have suggested caffiene is a huge concern. I stopped drinking soda thursday after rading about it, and its helped.

This week, I've went out of my way ot correct some of the issues I've got going and its helped a lot. I'm still only about 50% painfree but it beats the 0% from the other day.

I realize this is a long post, and my future posts will be shorter.

Just please help me somehow

It is 2 months after surgery Im dying of pain, Im going for BM 8 times per day, would not say I have constipation, I just feel I want to go there, when Im BM there is nothing and in the end of the day I start bleeding, Im so in pain, and still Brest feeding. can not take many pain killers, can not sit can not lie down, Im in pain!!! Till now it was terrible and I would say recovering has stopped 3 weeks ago, it is all the same. help me somebody to understand what to do and if it is normal? My concerns is it ok to go for BM about 8 times per day without results.
help meeeeeeeee

I had my Hemorrhoidectomy done about 3 weeks now. I had the banding done 12 years ago, which was the worst pain I ever had. The procedure was only 5 minutes, but it took almost 30 minutes for me to get off the butt in the air chair! I was later told that I should not have had the external roids banded, especially that close to the
opening. Too many nerves around the opening....

Last month after 4 days of constant heavy bleeding I went to the ER to get them looked at. Silver Nitrate was used. Felt like a Mexican dinner coming out. It really burned, but stopped the bleeding... for 2 days then it started again. Surgeon said I had both level 4 internal & major external roids that needed to be removed. He used the Harmonic Scalpel (thing Seal-a-Meal).

This procedure went well. I asked to be put under for 4 days, but only got 3 hours. The following day I discovered that your butt checks spread when you sit on the toilet. Boy that was it an eye openener !!! Day 2 @ high noon was the 1st BM. It hurt, popped out the sponge that the Dr. told me he put in. Little bleeding. Day 4 was the worst thing ever. I have been having these muscle spasm that would hit me out of nowhere. And I mean really hit.

The one thing I would recommend which I bought a few years ago is a Toto Washlet 200. This is just like a bidet, but replaces your existing toilet seat. Not only is the heated seat nice, but it has an adjustable water temperature & pressure spray along with adjustable temperature air dryer. There was no paper touching this area!!!! Didn't even need the sit baths with this thing. This unit is great for both pre & post op procedures along post child delivery, not that I ever had a baby, but I can imagine the trauma after having kidney stones & now this Hemorrhoidectomy.

I was taking up to 13 different items every day with some of them twice a day for almost 2 weeks right after the surgery: Between my Simustatin (Cholesterol), Iron (loss of blood), Daily Multivitamins, Vivodin (pain), Promethazine (nausea) Ibuprofen (swelling), Flexeril (muscle spasms), Stool Softener (enough said), Dulculax (laxative), Milk of Magnesium (when the Dulculax didn't work), Fiber pills (fiber), Osteo BiFlex (joint juice), & then Gas X (for the gas the fiber pills caused). I had to get a double pill case (morning & evening sides) for all this stuff I was taking. And I'm not even fifty yet!

I will not be having this done again if they do come back. The muscle spasms were the worst thing I ever had. Felt like a cattle probe set to high up my ass!

These past few days Day 16-21 have really been good. Haven't had to take any pain meds in 5 days. Only discomfort is right after a strong BM, but the stool softeners & Ibuprofen are making it better.

I have my follow-up this week & will see.

I had my surgery 4 days ago...on the 18th. Did not feel any pain for about 12 hours and then oh my! But, by today, am controlling the pain with tylenol and advil, the Vicodin does not work as well, and makes me feel awful. I had my first BM at midnight last night...wow.....stung and burned like heck...had to bite down on a facecloth so I would not scream and wake the kids...hopefully the ones to follow will not be that bad????? But, 15 minutes in the tub and two advil help and slept the rest of the night. Not taking any stool softeners...Dr. wants me to just do mineral oil for the first week. Eating lots of fruit and Fiber One muffins...soft food and drinking tons of water.
Dr. says I can go back to work in 10 days....we'll see.
Any advice?

After I had the blood clot removed, my doctor told me about a little-known remedy for shrinking thrombosed hemorrhoids. He said to apply sugar to the affected area. I did, left it on there for about 30 minutes while I worked on the computer. The next day it was half the size as before. And it had been about 2.5 inches. I showered the sugar off. Doubter? Google sugar and hemorrhoids and see that it says sugar does help edema (swelling). good luck all.

Is there anyone who had the surgery a year ago and are thrilled with having this surgery?

i'm glad i found this site! i have questions. i've dealt with these critters for 10 years. i have similar post surgical pain now...before i've had the surgery. my days are planned around the bm's and i have all kinds of tricks to handle the 5 to 6 hours of pain after each bm. if i have this kind of pain...praying for relief....on a daily basis, will the surgury be just as bad? i am so afraid of the surgery. i have severe problems urinating now. positioning is everything. bms are horrific and it takes hours to recover. should i do it? can anyone say if they are glad it's been done?