I am currently a 23 yr old female in the United States Air Force. A year and a half ago I started having lower right back pain that eventually radiated into my hip. Over a year time frame, my whole lower back, R hip, R buttocks and R leg were always hurting and I finally got an MRI and was told I had two severe herniated discs L4-L5 & L5-S1. A month later (March 2012), I had a discectomy on L5-S1. They didn't bother the other one because the neurosurgeon said my symptoms did not match up with that particular disc. For a few months I was doing pretty good up until 2 months ago the pain came back, I had another MRI done and it shows spinal stenosis, possible arthritis, a bone sour and the same herniated discs. I have never been in an accident and have no idea how this happened to me. I've always been a runner and basketball player and for the past year I have not been able to run and I developed depression and weight gain. I just had an epidural steroid injection today to see if this will mask my pain a bit because I know it definitely won't fix the problem. I am told I will never run again and will never really have my normal life back. Does anybody have my suggestions at all or have experienced this themselves and have good advice? Should I see another neurosurgeon? Should I just give it time to try to go away on its own? It's really beginning to take a toll on me both physically and mentally and honestly I'm just not sure what to do anymore and I'm not to that point where I have to accept the fact that I just have chronic pain and to learn to live with it. There has to be something else! I need more options. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Talk to the Laser Spine Institute. I have spinal Stenosis and plan to have surgery if the radio frequency injections I am scheduled to have do not help my chronic pain.

Kessnah,

I have had similiar pain for almost 3 years but for 2 reasons. One is a cervical spinal cord injury and the other was a collapased lumbar disc. I had lumbar L5-S1 fusion surgery 4 months ago. Don't give up. Get yourself a second opinion. Ask around for doctors others have had a good experience with. You won't believe how many others have similiar situations to you.

I get depressed too. I am fornuate to have a wife that supports me and sometimes makes me do what I need to do. Hopefully you have someone who will support you and help you emotionally. If not, there are counsellors trained to help people with chronic pain.

Don't give up. Life may have changed from what it once was but that doesn't mean it will always be what it is now. Good luck and trust in God