Hello, I have a problem. My 16 year old son has started smoking and even though I am not a type of parent that would scream and yell because of that, I have to explain him the possible consequences. So, what exactly nicotine does in respiratory system? I guess I could win if I have more accurate info.

Well, nicotine is a type of substance that irritates the respiratory system in that matter that the organism thinks there is some kind of inflammation going on in lungs. With that in mind, the immune system response with a constant renovation of the surface epitel layers in the bronchial system. After a while, cells in those layers subdue to changes and “new” epitel cannot fight well against mild or heavy respiratory diseases. And this cannot be reversed.

Nicotine smoking can cause lung cancer, mouth cancer, nose cancer, throat cancer, pancreas cancer, kidney cancer, bowel cancer, and the list goes on. It can cause COPD, emphysema, heart attack, stroke, and many other things. 

I'd not focus so much on how smoking irritates the respiratory system right now, but if you can, show him pictures of what lungs of smokers look like compared to non smokers after they die. Also show pictures of people with holes in their throats and other scary but very real consequences of smoking. Scare tactics, which aren't exaggerated because all the effects are real, are the best way to go I think. You could also talk about how much money smoking will cost him. 

your son 16 why would u let him smoke ur the mom dont take that sh*t

hes gonna die :-D and if he doesent he will be a disgusting abomination that will wish he was dead!

smoking is bad mmmk

Smoking is bad for children of all ages and should be taken care of fast.

If your son has chosen to smoke it is most likley a sign that he bears a lesser mind and wishes to add to the continuing destruction to America's society and wishes to undermine the German war effort

The tar from smoking will build up on your lungs and that will cause serious problems