I am 24 years old and I have problem with acne. They are hormonal because ether always come and go with menstrual cycle. Beside that my complexion is ok, no other problems. I was told to try with contraceptives but one of my friends used it and she told me that it didn’t work for her. And it didn’t she still has acne. What are other options for treating hormonal acne?

If you are a healthy woman with hormonal acne, then your dermatologist should be able to treat it for you, but if you have an underlying disease of the ovaries, pituitary or adrenal glands or diabetes, then your acne should be treated in conjunction with the appropriate specialist physician. Oral contraceptive pill is an estrogen-progesterone combination that alters the female's hormone pattern. Low-dose oral contraceptives are one of the oldest ways of treating hormonal acne. Many women, including me do not like the pill because of its side-effects that can include weight gain, nausea, and menstrual spotting and breast tenderness. Honestly it didn’t work for me acne either, but my friend has even severe case of hormonal acne and it worked for her perfectly, so, I guess it is individual. Other options are anti-inflammatory drugs and Antiandrogens