I am 24 now and suffered from acne all through my teens. Unfortunately this left its mark on my face and some of the scars I have from my teen acne are visible even with studio fix type foundations. It is very obvious that they are acne scars and I am very ashamed of them and the way they make me look. 

If I wanted to undergo a medical treatment to make these scars go away, what would be better? Dermabrasion or would microdermabrasion be enough? Dermabrasion scares me but if it will help me I will have it done.

XXX

Dermabrasion was developed exactly for that purpose, to eliminate acne scars, other scars, and pox marks - any scars that are not caused by burns, essentially. It is quite a heavy procedure and is only suitable for people with light skin tones because dermabrasion can easily lead to permanent pigment damage in people with darker skin tones.

Microdermabrasion MAY rid you of some very mild scarring, but that is not what the procedure was designed for. Microdermabrasion is basically an anti-age procedure that leaves your skin looking a little younger and fresher. For acne scarring, you will almost certainly need a full dermabrasion if you are expecting to see near complete elimination of your scarring.

You know, there's other options out there that you are gonna want to consider too in addition to microdermabrasion and dermabrasion. Laser skin resurfacing for instance is one really effective way to deal with acne scars that's becoming ever more popular over time. You also don't wanna forget that unlikely sounding stuff, namely dermal fillers, can also get rid of the appearance of scars without actually removing the scar. These are perhaps more friendly options to your skin. Oh, and one more thing... everyone's always talking about vitamin E oil for scars but apparently this can actually make scars worse rather than better so stay well away from those I say!!!

There is a lot of misinformation, or rather perhaps misunderstanding, about microdermabrasion and acne scars around!

Microdermabrasion is a powerful way to clear up acne by unclogging pores and getting rid of the underlying bacterial infection, however, it does more than that as well. Microdermabrasion can't be used clear up very deep scars, but indeed it can deal with mild hyperpigmentation, with small acne scars that are not anything beyond superficial, and to give the skin a much more even appearance.

I don't know whether individuals are good candidates for microdermabrasion obviously, but I do want to say that it isn't an option you should dismiss out of hand because you think it can't treat any kind of acne scars: that is just plain untrue.

I had a dermabrasion nine years ago, like you to clear up acne scars. I remember that it took a whole month for me to recover. My skin looked a weird pink color for the longest time. Mind you, a good foundation can help cover that up as soon as your surgeon says you're allowed. After that, the scars were gone and my complexion was amazing. All that in just one treatment, unlike what you would see with laser resurfacing and definitely microdermabrasion. If I had to choose all over again I would choose the same thing.

Well, I can only advise you to make a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who can assess the severity of your acne scars in an honest manner. Microdermabrasion can be an awesome option for some people. It often helps clear up active acne, brightens the complexion, contributes to a more youthful look, and indeed eliminates some more superficial acne scars and pox marks as well. 

If you are talking deeper scars though, then dermabrasion is the way to go. It's true that this comes with a longer recovery period (downtime for microdermabrasion is basically zero), but the upside is that your scars may completely be gone, quite likely actually, after just one treatment. Besides being rid of your acne scars, after dermabrasion you can expect your skin to look completely awesome and much younger and fresher.