Hello. I'm 37 year old and I have long family history of coronary and heart diseases. That’s why my doctor recommended me recently to avoid food rich in fats and to have regular blood check ups to monitor my cholesterol blood levels.
Few days ago I have had a blood test and yesterday I've got the results. If I understood correctly, there are several types of cholesterol such as some LDL, HDL, lipoproteins and others… Some of those are in normal limitations but some of them are a bit high. A friend told me that I should have all the cholesterol levels low because it can indicate on some disease. I'm really confused! Can someone tell me more about this LDL vs. HDL cholesterol levels?

Hi. I know that all this may sound confusing to person who sees it for the first time, but, like you, I'm also having these tests regularly for years now and somehow I've learned to understand these results by my self. Try to remember- LDL cholesterol is considered bad!
When too much LDL cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries in your heart and brain and cause condition called atherosclerosis. This can lead to hear attack and stroke. HDL cholesterol is considered good and healthy. No one knows exactly why- but high level of it seems to protect against heart attack.
Exact mechanism is still unknown but the biggest experts believe that HDL removes excess cholesterol from the wall in arteries.