I entered the local competition. I was swimming breast stroke. I got disqualified but I dont know why. I am aware that all swimmers make mistakes. A disqualification is supposed to occur when you perform a movement that is not allowed during a particular stroke. I suspect a foul play by the judges. A disqualification means that my time will not count, and any points earned during the race will be lost as a penalty.

Disqualifications are very common no matter what age or skill level you are. Heck, I had my share of disqualification too. When it comes to backstroke, swimmers must remain on their back for the entire race. The only time they are allowed to flip on their stomach is to do a flip turn. You cant role onto your stomach to see the wall at the finish of the race, for example. You must remain on your back. Some swimmers make mistake during the backstroke flip turn. When a swimmer is close to the wall to make his flip turn, he should count his strokes and flip over on to his stomach. However, at this time, once his arms have stopped moving he may not kick (usually the wall). That is when some swimmers make mistake and kick. So, you probably did some of this and got disqualified.