can anyone do this?

i've only been swimming a short while, but i'm already afraid i am creating an unbalance in my body by continuous right-sided breathing. i have tried switching sides and almost drowned. :umno: i suppose you don't "learn" this while actively swimming but practice it stationery with a kickboard OR WHAT??

balance. i'm finally feeling more balanced in running but trying this has really felt awkward and impossible :x but i can't imagine how many times i roll right when i'm in the pool, and what that might do to my back/shoulders over the long run as far as muscle wear/development.

any suggestions?

Have you picked up the Total Immersion book yet? Best book availavle for teaching yourself the basics.

I taught myself during one arm drills. Starting out you should be doing a lot of these. :) This will keep you balanced enough and slow you down some to take your time and get a breath in.

After I felt comfortable during drills, I started adding it to my swim sets.

Next class: flip turns

flip turns - i can easily somersalt in the water but not next to a wall for fear of whacking my ankles. :umno:
PH--i'll check into that book.... i need more info on one-arm drills too. i tried to get instruction at the Y but they told me i needed to see their team coach who is always on the road :x
TB -- how long did it take you to feel comfortable? i am so right-sided. it's almost like trying to write with my left hand. awwwwwwkwarrrrrrd.

I tell ya, I tried what this book said and all it did was confirm just how really sucky of a swimmer I continue to be. :?

1-arm drills like TriBob said. If you're still taking on water, do it with a kickboard.

It's also easier if you use a pull-buoy to take the legs out of it. Focus on reaching long and keeping a nice, level rotation as you breathe. Another nice drill is full, slow stroke, but breathe on every 3/5/7 strokes (per length). You'll get a nice feel of how the pull on both arms is, and force yourself to recover properly 'cause it's a slower drill.

For me, the hurdle to get over was the body rotation. Don't lift your head. Just rotate on an axis that goes from the top of your head, straight through the body to the feet. Then, to recover, just turn your head to the side - you'll be looking almost straight up. Then follow the hand with your eyes as it re-enters the water ahead of you.

this is the best swimming advice i have ever had....body rotation and keeping your head straight on that "axis" versus turning your head to breathe.... the book, total immersion, is great. thanks PH.
i'll try the 3/5/7 breath thing and i am really hoping that the rotation drills and the one-arm stuff will help me with the bilateral breathing thing which continues to absolutely stop me in my lane. i'm thinking this will take months to unlearn and relearn breathing.
thanks guys!
i feel like a slippery needle!