My coach keeps saying that I have to learn to breath properly. It is essential to master this in order to become a good swimmer. Otherwise, according to him I will never be able to get speed and endurance. Is he right? Is it really that important? Can I learn how to breath by swimming?

Breathing and your air are the most important factors in your competitive swimming and training! All swimming aspects are limited by your breathing. Believe it or not, breathing uses 12 sets of muscles. Swimmers sometimes perform their swimming based on their breathing. Because they have difficulty breathing, swimmers can base their stroke and technique on how they breathe. There are specialized training techniques. Such breathing training expands your lungs giving you deeper breaths, increasing your lung capacity and oxygen intake. It does so by strength training your breathing muscles. You can improve your swim stroke technique and swimming form. By strengthening your breathing muscle endurance you can increase your lap count and improved your lap times.