I learned to swim a year ago. I wanted to improve my skills. I was advised by a friend to swim 1 mile of breaststroke each workout. It was supposed to make me an excellent swimmer. Although I did make some progress, I don’t think that it is sufficient. What do you think, swimming 1 mile of breaststroke – How long?

Well your friend gave you an example how to train. It wasn’t carved in stone. Once you managed to achieve good speed you should have tried to swim longer distances or at faster pace. One should never stick to the same routine for years if he wants to be better at it. You should always strive for more. Perhaps you can master freesyle/front crawl now. Moreover, after some time try backstroke and butterfly.

One mile is quite a long way to swim, so it would be a very good workout, not only for your muscles but also for your aerobic system. However you could look at doing 1/4 mile breast stroke, 1/4 mile freestyle, 1/4 mile backstroke and so on. This would give you a good workout but also target different muscle groups and help you develop strength and fitness throughout your whole body.

Also, if you're looking to build upper body strength, waterpolo is a great sport rather than just swimming laps back and forth all the time.