Aren’t you just fascinated by the various weird and wonderful diseases out there? One I have always wanted to know more about is narcolepsy. Any illness that makes you fall asleep at seemingly random times is certainly interesting! What I don’t know is how this famous disease is treated though. Would any of you enlighten me on this? Also, I would like to know if narcolepsy is chronic or not?

Hi there! Unfortunately, no cure has been developed for narcolepsy yet. There are several drugs that help suppress symptoms though, but even these do not work for all narcolepsy patients. Medication that can be offered to narcolepsy patients includes modafinil for those with Ecxessive Daytime Sleepiness or EDS. As well as that, tricyclics and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors may be offered to keep cataplexy under control, and behavioral strategies often need to be used along with drugs to ensure the best possible quality of life for the narcolepsy patient.

Thank you for you reply. Could you tell me a bit more about the drugs you mentioned? I have suffered from depression in the past, and I seem to recall that tricylclics are antidepressants. If that is the case, then how would they help narcolepsy patients? Also, what is Excessive Daytime Sleepiness? Is that where someone falls asleep at their desk? I though that affected all narcolepsy patients, but apparently not?