I have a daughter with so scary symptoms that I do not know what to do when it happens. I have noticed she falls asleep during the day in second, and she sleeps for few minutes. After this, she woke up as nothing happened. Beside this, she has trouble with nightmares, and this scared her, but me as well. I want to hear what could it be, and what is narcolepsy, what my cousin said she probably has.

I am going to tell you how do narcolepsy looks like so you will be able to conclude could it be your daughter’s problem. First, you have to understand that people with narcolepsy have problem because they experience fleeting urges to sleep at various times of the day. If this urge becomes overwhelming, individuals will fall asleep for few seconds to several minutes. In rare cases, some people may remain asleep for an hour or longer. There are three other major symptoms frequently characterize narcolepsy. First is cataplexy, which means sudden loss of voluntary muscle tone. Second symptom for narcolepsy is vivid hallucinations, and third are brief episodes of total paralysis at the beginning or end of sleep. Probably narcolepsy involves multiple factors interacting to cause neurological dysfunction and sleep disturbances. That is why there is no cure and appropriate treatment for narcolepsy, but there are antidepressant drugs. These drugs have proved effective just in controlling cataplexy in many patients. I would recommend you to take your daughter to the doctor, because she definitely needs help.