I have read in one article about narcolepsy. They wrote narcolepsy is a chronic neurological disorder caused by the brain’s inability to regulate sleep-wake cycles. I understood those people cannot control their problem and they fall asleep during day. All this interested me so I wondered could anyone tell me more about narcolepsy. Is there any treatment for these people?

People with narcolepsy have problem because they experience fleeting urges to sleep at various times throughout the day. If this urge becomes overwhelming, individuals will fall asleep for periods lasting from a few seconds to several minutes, while in rare cases, some people may remain asleep for an hour or longer. There are three other major symptoms frequently characterize narcolepsy, and those are first cataplexy, which means sudden loss of voluntary muscle tone. Second symptom for narcolepsy is vivid hallucinations during sleep onset or upon awakening. Furthermore, it is reported cases of brief episodes of total paralysis at the beginning or end of sleep. Narcolepsy is not definitively diagnosed in most patients until 10 to 15 years after the first symptoms appear, and the cause of it remains unknown. It is likely that narcolepsy involves multiple factors interacting to cause neurological dysfunction and sleep disturbances, so there is no cure and appropriate treatment for narcolepsy. Two classes of antidepressant drugs have proved effective just in controlling cataplexy in many patients. Those medicines are tricyclics and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.