Hi, my wife suspected that thee was something wrong with me because I have a rapid eye movement during sleep. I sleep eight hours every night, plus five hours a day. I went to doctor, and he diagnosed me with narcolepsy. Can you explain me what this condition is?

Narcolepsy is a neurological disorder that is characterized by symptoms exactly the same like yours. Rapid eye movements and excessive daytime sleepiness are most common symptoms. People with narcolepsy can fall asleep anywhere and anytime. Some people have more serious symptoms like cataplexy, sleep paralysis, hypnagogic hallucinations and automatic behaviour. Cataplexy is characterized by losing a muscle function, sleep paralyisis is inability to move or talk while waking up. People with narcolepsy have disturbed length of NREM and REM sleep periods. There are several treatmants for narcolepsy. For example, you can use stimulants such as modafinil and amphetamines.