Are there any figures out there on what the life expectancy is for people who have narcolepsy in varying degrees? Are the figures any different than those for people who are healthy? Is there anything we can do to elongate our lives? If you have any reliable information, please share it.

Hello there,

First of all this condition, as you should be probably aware, is not fatal. Of course some others circumstances can lead to death but if you are suffering from narcolepsy than you should be well informed about it by your doctor. Symptoms you are experiencing are sleeping disorder, headaches and maybe some others but nothing of this is life threatening.

When it comes to treatment options you have been probably informed by your doctor that these include drug and behavioral therapies. Treatment options are usually depending on the severity of the symptoms, life conditions such as type of work or responsibilities and the specific goals of therapy.

If you haven’t started with these you should as soon as possible.   

I think that the average life expectancy of narcoleptics would be a little less since so many die because they fell asleep. I have come close a few times, and a friend just died because she went to sleep while driving and ran into a UPS truck. I'm 74 and being much more careful these days. Another concern is some narcoleptic drugs combined with other prescribed drugs can cause serious harm which does not stop when you stop the second or third drug. My doctor gave me Nuvigil and omeprozone and can't remember the name of the third one. It was for essential tremors and also blood pressure. Anyway, he had not idea about their interaction. I found out on line. Sharra.