My grandfather suffers from Parkinson’s for 1.5 years. His doctor said that he is much worse than he expect. He doesn’t react on treatment well. Please tell me, how long can a person live with Parkinsons?

Parkinson’s is a progressive disorder. It gradually becomes worse over time…new symptoms appear and existing symptoms slowly become more severe. This is due to the loss of an increased number of nerve cells in the brain; however, Parkinson’s disease is not a terminal illness. People can live for some 15-25 years from the point of diagnosis. It is a chronic condition.

Hello there,

I am so sorry that your grandfather has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. This is a progressive disorder which affects movement. It develops gradually and after some time the symptoms can become very severe.  Tremors in just one hand are usually first symptoms but this can develop into totally inability to move extremities.

Unfortunately there is no cure for this condition and the symptoms are getting worse sometimes even with the therapy which should help to reduce the symptoms of it. Sometimes the doctor can suggest the surgery as well. The life expectancy is like manders has mentioned from 15 to 20 years and for the more detailed answer you will have to ask your grandfather’s doctor.

My Mom was diagnosed about 7+ years ago with this awful disease and I hate it. She don't exercise and she don't go anywhere and she is constantly depressed she has gotten worse in the past year she can't even dress herself. This is so sad because at one time she was extremely active it is so hard seeing my Mom like this and it hurts. If she keeps going the way that she is she will not make it much longer. I think that how long a person lives with Parkinsons is up to the quality of life if there is no quality of life there than the person just lets the disease win.