Hi, I have a very disturbing problem. My father is a fifty years old man. Some time ago he has developed a disease that I have never even heard of. It is called Huntington's disease. It really affects my father's life. He can not control his movements and has mood swings. Some medicine has been prescribed as well as the nutrition plan. But there are no visible results. Please tell me how can Huntington's disease be reversed?

Hi, I am very sorry to hear that you have to see your father go trough this condition. I also experienced it but with my grandfather and I was very young at that time. However, the memories of the sufferings of my grandfather remain. Huntington's disease is also known as Huntington's chorea. It is extremely rare and affects middle aged people. However, this condition has also been found to affect younger people as well. Huntington's disease is an inherited neurological (brain) disorder and it only takes one allele from either parent for the condition to occur. It is caused by recurrent expansion of trinucleotide in Huntington gene. This produces the mutation of the gene resulting in neuronal cell death in the selected part of the brain. I am sure that the doctor has already told you what the outcome of this condition is. It is also very hard for me to tell you the answer to your question. Huntington's disease can not be reversed at this time. However, there are researches that can eventually lead to total recovery from this condition. Since this progressive disorder is caused by a mutation of a single gene, the most promising treatment, that is studied, is so called silencing gene treatment. This can stop the progression of the illness but is still in the phase of testing. I truly hope that the cure will be found in near future.