Hello everyone. I am desperate mother who wants to know more about my son’s disease. He is an amazing football player. In one game, he just faint and they took him to ER. After three hours of analyses and tests, they told me that he is diagnosed with Myocardial Bridge. I can’t stop crying since that day because he is only 27 years old. I want to know if you can tell me long – term prognosis of patients with myocardial bridge. Please, tell me that everything is going to be ok with my son… I am so desperate and I don’t know what to do.

Hey there darling. I am so sorry to hear this. I really hope that your son is going to be ok very soon. Patients with myocardial bridging have a very good long – term prognosis, even if a half of the patients will continue with regular treatment that includes antianginal drugs. Well, in very small but VERY SMALL percentage, this disease can be more aggressive and it can lead to acute myocardial infection which can lead to death.

Your son is only 27 years old and I really hope that this disease is just diagnosed.

Did doctors told you anything else?

Hey there. Thank you for answering me and thank you because you understand my pain. It is a little bit complicated since my son’s doctor got very sick and now some other doctor took his case. He is a little bit complicated and he is not telling me a lot of information. Maybe I am a little bit boring with all those questions, but I can’t help it. I need to know what is going on with him. Some nurse told me that patients can live nice and quality life with this disease and that they need to follow the proper treatment. I am not sure what this means. Is that means that my son is going to be ok?

Hey you two,

Worried Mom, I'm glad to tell you that in most cases, myocardial bridge is not dangerous at all. Patients with a myocardial bridge have it from birth, and most never know they have the condition.  

However, some patients can develop myocardial ischemia (lack of oxygen) because of a myocardial bridge. This means that the heart muscle is not getting enough oxygen-rich blood. When the heart contracts during the heartbeat, the bridge of heart muscle can tighten down on the artery, pinching it and decreasing the blood flow. 

If your son doesn't have any symptoms, he won't need any treatment. If he happens to have any symptoms, he is going to have to use beta-blockers. 

Hey everyone,

This all depends on why was he taken to the ER in the first place, why did he faint. I believe that this has nothing to do with myocardial bridge. If I'm right, then he doesn't have any symptoms regarding myocardial bridge, which means that he can continue to live as he did before without the need of any treatment.

As Adria told you, people who have myocardial bridge had it since their birth, so the chances are small, extremely small that he has developed some sort of symptoms now. I'm sure that your son is going to be just fine.

Hello Worried mom.

I couldn’t agree more with those girls. This is nothing that serious because there is a cure for this and you really don’t need to be scared that much about this.

I am sure that your son, with a proper treatment, will have a very nice and quality life.

I agree that there is probably other reasons why he fainted, and I do believe that it isn't connected with myocardial bridge, because he was probably too tired or he forced himself in this football game and in the all football games generally.

I believe that this is the main reason.

Hi everyone,

Well, I don't think that his fainting has anything to do with his myocardial bridge. He is 27 years old, he played a bunch of games before that one for sure, so a myocardial bridge probably isn't responsible for him fainting, maybe the sun was strong or something?

Even if he is diagnosed with it, you really have nothing to worry about, worried mom. Everybody with myocardial bridge had it since they were born, and more than half of these people will never even know that they had this condition. They are acting completely normal and their myocardial bridge won't affect their lives at all.

A myocardial bridge isn't a disease it's a birth defect. The arteries are under a band of muscle rather than on top like everyone else. Your son may get chest aches when he over does things, is tired, stressed etc. He has to listen to his body. sometimes a myocardial bridge does lead to a heart attack but the majority didn't know they had a problem in the first place and most survive. Now he knows he can get checked out regularly

I am 80 years old and have been medicated for only the last 4 years with no problems.