My cousin is 54 years old and about three weeks ago was diagnosed schizophrenia. It is hereditary disorder in her family, so her mother had it. She has been on seroouel since than. What can you tell me about efficacy of seroouel in treatment of this psychosis? Is it effective against all the symptoms of schizophrenia?

Seroquel belongs to a group of atypical antipsychotics, it is the mildest of all antipsychotics that are used in therapy of schizophrenia. Its sedating effect can be significant and interfere with every day life, because patient is not able to work and be concentrated. It can cause weight gain; there is a risk of developing diabetes, so patients are usually tested periodically. I know a person that has been on quetiapine for several years and developed extrapyramidal syndrome, which is a disorder maybe similar to Parkinson’s disease, person has involuntary movements of head and body. This doesn’t have to affect every patient. It depends on doses that are used in therapy and progression of the disease.