Can someone tell me more about dementia and Alzheimer's disease? My grandfather is 71 and he was diagnosed with it recently. I love him so much and can not stop worrying. Any information will be helpful. Thanks

Dementia is a progressive brain dysfunction that leads to a gradually increasing restriction of daily activities. The most well-known type of dementia is Alzheimer's disease. Dementia not only affects patients, but also those surrounding them, the family members. The reason for this is that patients with dementia require care in the long-term. Dementia is the loss of mental abilities and most commonly occurs late in life and five to eight percent of all persons over age 65 are demented. This percentage increases with age so twenty-five to fifty percent of people over 85 are affected. The affected person sometimes recognizes the first signs of dementia. Often family or friends first detect the problem but also the affected person. Early symptoms include memory loss and difficulty performing complex tasks. As the condition progresses the deficits become more pronounced and interfere further with daily activities. Symptoms of dementia are: marked loss of memory for recent events, loss of ability for abstract thought, planning and doing complex tasks, difficulty finding common words and names etc.

My father was diagnosed with dementia last year. I have seen a big change in my dad. He is now getting aggressive with my mom and sometimes with my daughter. I am staying with them right now and there are times that I can't take the way he is and I have to leave for awhile and then when I come back home he seems worse than when I left. They have him on Aricept and Nemenda and I really do not think they are working. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am ready to leave but I know if I do it will affect my mom a lot. I am also afraid that if I do go he might do something to hurt her and not mean it. I am open to any suggestions. Does anyone know of a sight where people with love ones that has this desease can go to and chat? Sometimes it helps to talk to others that know about this.
Thank you...