My friend is 65 years old and about a month ago was diagnosed schizophrenia. It is hereditary disorder in his family, so his mother had it. He has been on quetiapine since than. What can you tell me about efficacy of this drug in treatment of schizophrenia? Can it keep the disease under control?

Quetiapine is atypical antipsychotic, and is the mildest of all antipsychotics that are used in therapy of schizophrenia. It has sedating effect, so interfere with every day life, because person is not able to work and be concentrated. It can cause weight gain; there is a risk of developing diabetes, so patients are usually tested periodically. I know a person that has been on quetiapine for several years and developed tardive dyskinesia, that is a disorder maybe similar to parkinson’s disease, person has involuntary movements of lips, tongue and jaw. This doesn’t have to affect every patient. It depends on doses that are used in therapy and progression of the disease.