My grandfather has died of complications of Huntington's disease. In last few weeks, my father has some similar symptoms as my grandfather during illness: mood swings, clumsiness, lack of coordination and short-term memory. Is it possible that Huntington's symptoms are affecting my father? Is it possible to treat? Or to relieve symptoms?

Huntington's disease is hereditary neurological disorder that affects the central nervous system. As result, there is progressive loss of the movement control, multiple changes in personality, mental and emotional changes. As is caused by a dominant gene mutation, there is no cure for Huntington's disease. Treatment is symptomatic in order maximize abilities and decrease progression of disease.

I think the last comment (if I understand it) is saying that treatment depends on symptoms?

If so I think this is representative of one aspect of western medicine that is faulty.

Yes, there are symptoms that indicate a certain treatment but the idea is not "one size fits all".

In other words, our bodies are a system of systems, if you will, with all parts and systems affecting

all the others. Treatment needs to consider that we are not just individual parts but a synergistic whole.

There is no cure and no drugs speciffically for HD. Doctors can prescribe anti - depressants and drugs to control the involuntary movements but if a person has the HD gene, Huntingtons symptoms will begin at any point between their 30's - 50's, depending on the length of the Huntington's gene.