My doctor has told me that I need to improve my cardio system and trim some fat. I have never been a “sport guy” (unless you count watching various games on TV as a sport). I think that running can help me to achieve these goals. How much benefit can I get by running? I would appreciate some info on this.

Running is a great sport and you can get many benefits from it. Improved cardio system, reduced fat, better and stronger heart, better overall well-being; to name just a few. You have to check with your doctor to see if there are any limitations to the proposed workouts. If there are none then you can start with short, easy distance run at very slow pace. Don’t try to be heroic. There will be plenty of time for sprints or long rides. Let your body adapt to the training. Then you can start building speed and endurance.

It's also very mentally satisfying. For me it lowers stress, promotes sharper thinking and awareness all throughout the day, builds confidence. Lot's of benefits to running.