Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm 24 years old, 195 lbs and 5'10 with about 15% body fat. I have been doing 5 mile 50 minute runs for quite some time now. I recently improved to an 8 minute mile, and I was proud of myself for that. I look online, and I find out that a 8 minute mile is like jogging for many people and very easy - I felt kind of foolish for thinking it was a big accomplishment. Anyways...

I read that instead of doing 5 mile runs with moderate intensity that HIIT or sprinting intervals would be more beneficial to improving time, body fat levels and overall health/cardiovascular system. I was wondering, what are ways that I can get my endurance up so I can improve my mileage (Nice pun, eh?) Should I employ this sprinting HIIT technique or just try and increase my speed over a longer run? Also, would HIIT type exercise mess up my back/joints if I was to run outside on the cement (I have $125 running shoes specifically designed for my feet). Any input is appreciated, thanks!

coming from someone who runs in the area of 3-6mi 4x/week I have found that increasing distance with less focus on speed has helped me. When I first was able to even complete 3miles I had a great mental boost and just gradually was able to push myself faster.. I think a lot is personal preferance but that is what works for me.

LCPL Stoller
USMC
S. Korea

Being a 21 year old, as well as a sub 5 minute miler/sub 1130 two mile runner back in high school. I have been trying to reclaim my indurance that I had before my lack of effort college years, and found that a combination of the two works best. HIIT is good for its ability to test your sprinting limits(lung capacity), while still staying pace for the entire run(training your heart rate). On the other hand, increasing your speed overall per mile is also a good practice for managing pace(again training heart heart rate). So try working out both ways, every other work out.

Also the only problem you might run into with the HIIT is shin splits of some kind, if you prolong your training on cement. Harder running usually means more force in each step. Which leads to injury if you can't manage it well. If a rubber track, large grassy park, or even grass lined sidewalks are availible use them. Every step you can take on a move forgiving surface, will mean less stress on your joints and overall body. Hopefully this helps.

If your main goal is to increase endurance to run longer... then long slow runs are vital. Instead of concentrating on mileage. concentrate on time runs, and the mileage and faster paces will come. As for training on concrete. There is a big difference between that and asphalt that alot of people overlook. HIIT should not be done more than twice a week on concrete. it can lead to shin splints/ stress fractures and achilles problems which can set you back one to two months of training. Not a good trade-off if you ask me. And yes, I am speaking from experience. My HIIT consisted of 3 mile runs at 6:05- 6:30 pace, and i was stupid enough to try mile repeats at 5:45 pace on concrete as well. Long story short, had to stop running to recover and now i am back up to 7 miles a day at 7:00 to 7:30 pace. But it took alot of 8:00 pace days to get there. You just have to be patient. If you are at 5 miles a day right now, you should have no problem jumping up to 7 2 to 3 times a week at 8:30 to 9:00 pace. Like i said, dont concentrate on mileage time yet, try going on a 70 minute run one day, see how far you get and do it again 3 days later. Eventually you will see your mileage increase and times drop.

~DJ