1. so what do you all think about running twice a day? does that do me any good? i'm sure an hour at once (which i'm not quite up to) is better than 2 halves, but are there ANY benefits to splitting it up? i'm sure it can't be bad for me (or can it...) you see, i like running in the mornings, it sets my whole day up for excellence, but i always FEEL like running again around 7. and is it bad for me to run close to when i go to bed? should i just focus on one good long run?

2. where's this "couch to 5k" program i've heard about? i'm pretty green myself so i'm interested in actually having some kind of program to follow since now i'm just pretty much doing whatever i feel like, plus i'm trying to get a friend off his fat ass. i tried searching for something in the forums, but it just came up with a billion different things that had "5k" alone in them. it was very discouraging.

and merry christmas :fubby:

about the running twice a day, i dont see why not. everything ive read about cardio in general says that two or even more "sets" of working out is just as good as one big block.

Running 2x a day depends on your goals. If you run just because you enjoy it and want to run a few times a day, then by all means. It's your program! The logic as far as training for a particular distance says you only break up runs when you get to the mileage level you can't complete the distance in one run. For some folks, that's never, for others, it's one or two runs a week. Most people who do doubles are running serious weekly mileage.

Just be careful you don't overtrain and get injured!

Crazyfrog gave you the links for the C25k program so I'll leave that alone, and Merry Christmas to you!

the only thing with running in the evenings is your heart rate. It is considered to help you sleep if you run 2 hours before you go to bed because your heart rate will have completely gone back to normal nd this should naturally lull you to sleep. Other than that i see nothing wrong with it.

thank you guys so much! this has all been really helpful

Depends on your reasons. to build endurance? then no it wont help. for heart health? either way it's the same result, the latest studies show that aerobic activity is cummulative. to lose weight? then yes. Studies show that the metabolism stays elevated for 20 minutes (may vary per person) after the event. so if you run for an hour (60 minutes) plus Reved Metab(20 minutes) you get 80 minutes of reved up metabolism
if you do two 30 minutes sessions (30+30=60) + (20+20=40) =100 so 20 free minutes of calorie burn.