Hi! I only just stopped drinking coffee and I started drinking tea as an alternative. I drink the regular herbal ones, but I'm thinking that I should switch to green tea. I have recently read an article on it and I can honestly say that I had no idea it has so many benefits! I don't take more than three cups of tea a day, and that's enough for me. I used to suffer insomnia and too much caffeine is not good for my system. How much cup of tea is too much?

Hello! Since you plan on drinking green tea I must disappoint you a bit. Namely, it is very rich in caffeine. On the other hand, though it is very good for you since it is also very rich in anti-oxidants too. I believe that 2- 3 tea cups is enough. Dr. Zuo Feng Zhang, a cancer epidemiology researcher at UCLA, and the University of Maryland Medical Center also recommend two to three teacups (not mugs) a day. Their research proves that that much is the minimal amount that benefits your health with ten teacups being the maximum daily amount.

I agree that tea, in general, is good for your health. Green tea is one of the top 3 when it comes to proven benefits. Yet, you should be careful not to take it for granted. It’s not always “the more- the merrier”. Green tea can also do harm if you take it too much or when pregnant. The tannins found in both green and black tea can decrease absorption of folic acid, an important vitamin that helps decrease birth defects. If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, you should definitely limit your green tea consumption to two cups a day, or skip it all together. Green tea can also interfere with the absorption of iron, too, so it is recommended that you avoid drinking green tea with meals and just drink it between them.