ok, what's going on everybody. I have been doing powerlfiting for 5-6 years. I am 6'2 176 pounds, and i have benched 290, squatted 315x5 to a parralel box, andd deadlifted 445 nice and easily. you would think running a mile would be cake right? I am strong, tall, and not fat!!! LOL,NOT EXACTLY. the thing with me is, I have piss poor genes for lifting, and running. when i started lifting weights, I was 5'8 110 and couldnt even do 1 pushup or even UNRACK the empty 45 pound bar, let alone do 1 rep with it. anyways, if i dont train for something, I am piss at it pretty much. In highschool my mile was like 15 minutes. anyways, i dont ever do cardio, because as it is, to gain weight i need to eat over 4k calories, to put on even a small amount of weight.(im trying to get to 200.) I would like to start running a few times a week though, because i feel a guy as strong and lean as me, should have at max..an 8 minute mile. I would be happy with an 8 minute mile. I dont want to be the next best runner, just someone with a decent mile.

anyway, last year was the first time i did a mile in forever. I did a mile in 12 mins 50 seconds my first day. I started panting HARD barely a quarter of a mile in, but i kept going even if i had to walk, and do short sprints to finish. The next day i somehow got to 9 mins 50 seconds. I noticed my lifting go down and quit.

so its been a year, and today i wanted to try again. I was watching thi biggest loser, and i noticed that a challenge to even get onto the show, was for them to run a mile. they were all pretty much able to jog the whole mile...and this is before even making it onto the ranch, and also being 300-500 pounds.

so today, i did my mile in 12 mins. i did my half mile in 4 mins 30 seconds..panting HARD the whole way through. then had to walk the rest of the half mile..with 2 sprints in there..that werent big sprints at all. and by sprint i mean jogging sprints not running sprints.

overall im embarrassed, on this.

oh and how many calories do you think im burning when im running? i go full out and barely make it...so im worried im burning a lot and will lsoe weight

I'm a newbie, but i can tell you is i have the nike shoe connected to my iphone, for me being 5'9 and 161lbs, 300 calories was 2.6 miles i did in 32 mins or 12.3 mins per mile or 115 calories per mile. So i don't think you need to worry about loosing weight. Hope that helps.

good to see you out there trying to run, i see this at the gym quite a bit in my town when the guys at the gym lifting for hours and then tell me they cant run a mile even! its kindof a fine line, lift or run i think, sounds like you have lots of muscle from lifting but thats it, the muscles have no idea what the function of running is, so yes you have to train it, i am 5 6 165lbs i dont really lift heavy weights anymore but i do stick to high reps say 15lbs bells and i curl 3 sets of 30, of course there is 100's of workout programs out there, but i am certain i can outlift most of the "lifters" in my gym if i wanted to. Distance running or even mile running takes some time and concentration. You will not lose weight by running a few times a week, if eating and lifting, if anything YOU would gain weight, muscle weighs 4x as much as fat, as far as your time dropping from 12 to 9:50, just luck or you werent as nervous or something, sounds like you could easily get down to 8 minute mile, also you would have to do longer runs like 30 mins or 3 miles to train would help keep it up!!

thanks for the reply. so you think its luck and not improvement?
right now my mile is 8:33. i did it yesterday! i really hope to be at 7:59 within the next 2 weeks.
idk if my conditioning is getting better or if i am just pushing harder(which i doubt cause i always push hard)...but i have heard your heart doesnt get more healthy unles you do 20 minutes-30 minutes of cardio which i dont do since doing the mile GASSES me to death
my weight has been maintaining. i even thinkk im 178 now.

i maybe didnt use the right words....luck wasnt what i really meant...but your fast improvement if not from working on it, but from learning how to run, to drop even a few seconds per mile does take alot of time and work. i would suggest running 1 mile as fast as you can, walk it, run it, crawl it just get it done as fast as you can. than work on endurance, run 15 mins then 20 then 30, or treadmill at gym for 30, etc. then after 3 weeks go run a mile again, you can do it!!

thanks!! yeah i mreally surprised how qickly im progressing. ive only run like 5 times, and i went from 12:50 to 8:33!!! and im jogging more of the way, and walking less!!! my next run is thursday, and im going to try and jog the first .75 miles!! and walk/jog combos the rest of the .25 left. if i could do that, its a matter of time before im jogging the whole thing. also that might put me at the 7:59 i need..and maybe if i jog the whole thing even less.
but im still confused. i hear that youre not working your heart if you dont do cardio for 30 minutes. I just feel like maybe im wasting my time? I feel like DYING by the time I finish that mile...like im on the verge of death..I have zero idea, how my heart isnt being worked from those 8 minutes of torture!! and I cant go another 12-22 minutes!!!! I just don't know if what i'm doing is making me healthier. i mean obviously my mile is improving but is my heart?
i think after I can get myself down to a 6:59 mile, I will work on getting a 14 minute 2 mile!
i wanna make sure i understand your plan though. are you saying to do my mile..then continue running another 15 after my mle to work on endurance? i an barely get through the mile

i am no expert, and your post is the first one i read and decided to reply. i will give you my history...ran sprints in high school and college nothing over 400meters, after i turned 22 i couldnt really run sprints. i joined the military and shifted more distance running and had to focus on 2mile run. i couldnt run more than two laps without passing out, so i understand where you are at. i am 32 now, i have ran 3 twin cities marathon and am currently training for the ironman tri. i still dont think i can run i take the full 6 hours to run a marathon but get it done...anyways, go 3 miles, anyway you have to walk, crawl, then go 4 then 5, then go back to the mile and run it hard and then you will see what you are capable of. as far as the working the heart thing, of course it is working and getting stronger but for only 8 minutes. endurance is where you will start seeing results. try warming up also walking 4 laps, stretching, then time yourself for a mile then cool down walking another mile, there are 100s of different ways to workout and everyone reading this probally has somehow different just my little two cents good luck!!

i feel like suca failure. today a few minutes agfo i did my mile run..i managed to get 8:30 which is a very small improvement from my best of 8:33...and i was hoping for more...in addition my shin splints wont go away.
but the biggest thing is after doing that 8:30 i hadd o sit down i couldnt go anymore. tyoure telling me to go 3 miles and i could barely do 1. i bet even you could crawl 3 miles when u were only able to run 2 laps without passing out.
the good part about today was i ran the half in 3L51 and i ogged the first .65 miles non stop...which was close to my goal of the first .75. next time i will do the first .75 non stop

hey try to jog the first mile in 15 mins, go slow but not a walk and try to keep going after that for another mile. work on distance and not a fast time, then the times will come good luck!

right now my goal is just to do the mile as quickly as possible. i want to have a 7:50 mile under my belt by 11/03/10 which will be the one month marker of my training. thatll be a 5 minute drop in one month. im not even sure if im gonna continue running to the point where ill run 2 miles..but i might. also i wouldnt be happy with a 40 minute 2 mile(which would be waht itd probably take me if i ran the first mile in 15 lol.
i think ill have a better shot at completing the two mile once i can successfully jog the 1 mile. im almost there. i mgoing to try jogging a lil over .75 miles in 5 mins next time..then jog/walk the rest of the way. goal is 8:19!!

although i trust your knowledge completely, i just dont like to change a program thats giving me results

im so fed up with this c**p. i put in so uch effort and i ust keep failing at this. this is so frustrating. I got my personal best of 8:30 last week. as you al know when i started this journey i couldnt even jog the first quarter of a mile without stopping to walk, well i made a goal to jog more and more of the mile each time before i had to stop walking. today i was very proud to jog the first .75 miles before i had to stop and walk. when i stopped at .75, i was planning to walk a few mins and jog a few mins liek i normally do after i reach my checkpoint where im done with consecutive jogging, but right as i stopped my insides were STABBING, i couldnt breathe even...it hurt so bad like a knife under my chest on my ribs area....so i wound up with an 11 min mile BACK AT FREAKING SQUARE 1 todays goal was 8:19....
OH AND MY SHIN SPLINTS ARE FREAKING KILLING ME...ive tried ice, but they just get worse...im not even fat, why are these things happening to ME????

i feel like my heart isnt getting healthhier, im just pushing myself harder...im not actually getting more in shape...i still feel very gassed out well before i even hit the first quarter mile, and istill barely get through the first half, but i just push to get to the first .75.

m really discouraged and this is bullcrap...i cant even move my legs right now...and for what..an 11 min mile....[people on the biggest loser jog this no problem before even starting the journey on the ranch. i hate my genetics
oh and can shin splints hurt on the inside and outside of the shin or does that mean i have tendinitis? my whole lower leg hurts...hell even my crotch/groin area hurts like i have a hernia or soemthing

i even tried to walk another mile as punishment for doing poorly, i got to a quarter of the second mile and couldnt do any more..this is so freaking lame

what kind of shoes are you running?

I am going to be blunt. You are (were) not training. You are trying to do something you can't do without training. In weightlifting speak, when you were 110 lbs, could you bench 290? No. How did you get there? Slowly, you started doing light weight lots of reps, interspersed with one time heavy lifts.

What you are doing is equivalent to a power lift every time you go out. The advice you are getting is solid advice and you are ignoring it. I can currently bench around 180lbs, if my goal was to bench 290, you would advise me to would work up to it.

After reading your posts, it is clear that you are (were) pushing too hard. Forget the goal, and Jog. Split up the jogging with walking, and do it a few times a week, and you will get fit. I promise. If you go out once a week and run as fast as you can for 7 minutes, you will get nowhere.