Hey,
I need advice. I am starting to work out at home… I made myself a private gym) and I am lifting weights. I read somewhere that I should go running before lifting and not the opposite. Is that true?
Thanx!

Yes, this is true. Explanation is very simple and logical. By running you warm up your body and than it is much more capable of lifting weights. This is the way our muscles work- if you stretch a properly warmed muscle, it can lengthen without damage, otherwise it can even snap! I see this as a very logical process- our muscles are able to store more energy and contract more forcefully after running- after you prepare your muscles for storage of energy. That is you should stretch yourself one of stretching techniques is also running- but you must also stretch yourself before running!) before lifting weights. Remember, before every physical activity you must do the stretching of your body for at least 15 minutes!!! Prepare your body for storage of new energy. That is why specialist recommend running stretching) before lifting.

I want to build muscle but i also want to be able to stay really fast for basketball season. So i should run be4 i lift right. Because i am really fast i just need to build more muscle.Having more muscle wont slow you running down will it??

no it wont slow you down much, depends if you do heavy weights to build up for big muscles or light weights to build for cuts and endurance. if you go for indurance it wont effect your running much at all however, for heavy lifting, it will affect a bit of your speed but not enough for you to realise in the short run.

thats not trie, upper body muscle will slow you down if you get bulky.

i am a cross country runner and i started to get bulky in the summer and it really does slow down my times...

more weight= more weight your body has to carry

common sense people.

Both are wrong. If you lift weights you will still keep your speed. Make sure you do even amounts of legs and upper body to maintain the speed as well as you will get faster with the lower body lifts. Also do plyometrics.

For XC, weights can actually help. It will allow you to build fast-twitch muscle fiber, and give you the edge on the finishing kick of your race. Use low weight, with high repitition, to build lean muscle, and not bulk up. And work in twice as much core as anything else. A stable core is key to quickness and endurance (the same goes for basketball).

actually I just read (from Michael Jordan's trainer) that you should not stretch before lifting. The muscle loses some of the tension that you need to lift. Therefore you won't be able to lift as much. Also, there is no scientific prove that stretching before lifting or any exercise will help you prevent injuries.
The guy recommends stretching after the work out.
Also, doing cardio before lifting can make you get tired and your weight workout will not be as effective. While if you lift before running, you will get more benefits from your weight workout plus the same benefits from running

by the way, you do need to warm up the muscle before you lift. but you can warm it up with a couple of sets of light weight

Hi! I've been also working out for two years now. My personal trainer told me to run first before lift weights because running can warm my muscles. In order for me to lift weights safely (and to have effective results), I have to warm these muscles first. A 15-30 minute ride in the treadmill is my jump start. After that, I will start strength training and lift weights. After that, I will jog or brisk walk for 15 minutes at the treadmill and then stretching for cooling down.

It depends on what you want. Technically you should run before lifting to get better results but it is true you will be tired to work to your max. if you are trying to tone your body or lose weight, you should run before lifting. if you are trying to increase your max, then lift first.

Well, If u want to lose weight, keep doing it. If not, get rid of it ASAP. It only makes u feel tired

For me, both ways actually works. Run before weight training or weight training before run. Just keep doing it and you will see results in a months time.

Yes, you should run or do some basic warm up exercises to charge your body muscles before weight lifting.

Hey i have a question regaurding all of this talk of running before lifting. i was wondering is it possible for me to stay lean, yet take protein to hopefully build my muscles. i want to build muscle and get bigger but not so much cut can i make this feasible?