hey, im 17 i play basketball for my school. im a starter for jv. when the games starts i start run up and down the court. 3 mins later im out of breath. im very skinny. i dont think im too out of shape. is there a way to improved endurance/stamina ?

If you are too skinny, you probably don't have a lot of energy reserves. Try to gain some weight by eating high energy foods. Buy a glucometer at the drug store and test your blood glucose over the course of the day. It is possible that your blood glucose is too low. Also, get yourself tested for anemia. You may not have enough red blood cells to carry enough oxygen to your muscles.

Skinny does not necessarily equate to being in shape however. I think the best thing you can do is make sure that you are eating enough. Are you tall as well? If you're tall then you may not be eating day to day. A lot of calorie requirements are for people around 5'6" to 5'8". If you're taller than that like me (I'm 6'3"), then you need a lot more than 2000 calories. I need 3000! Does that help?

I'm 5"8. I'm Asian. 17 years old. I do eat ALOT i mean ALOT and i dont gain weight. i'm 142 pounds, i was 120 before i joined the team. reason why i got heavier is cause all the weight lifting we done made my muscles bigger on that note i gain muscle mass. so...yeah.. would jogging around a lake help improve my endurance?

Do you know how many calories you take in per day? A lot of people say that they eat a lot but you really have to eat a ridiculous amount of calories before you are actually able to gain weight. Like healthnfitnessguy posted, you have to take in almost 3000 calories to just maintain at 6'3", so you'd need to be taking in about that much to gain weight.

Jogging would help improve your endurance, absolutely. It will help your body be able to use oxygen better. But you should probably work your way up to jogging, perhaps starting on a treadmill, first.

um.. i really dont know how much calories i take in per day. some days when i go to school i start without eating breakfast and lunch i just wait till dinner at home..i know its bad for me lol ( school lunch sucks). BUT starting tomorrow i will keep track of what i eat and i'll report back with the calorie intake number for you guys to see. thanks =)

I agree with what bluedog has said! If you claim to eat a lot, you don't really know how much you're eating ESPECIALLY if you are skipping breakfast and lunch! I'm a big guy, and for me to get that way, I have had to eat a LOT of food, even when I had no appetite. It sucks at times, but you can get bigger. You just have to eat a LOT.

well.. heres the list of the things i ate today. ceral+milk, Fried rice + a can of 7up for lunch, one bag of hot cheetos for a snack, and i ate pizza for dinner, 5 slices of pepperoni+cheese+and meatballs+a cup of coke.

bad diet for a basketball player huh? LOL

I think that I have definitely found the source of your stamina problems! It looks like you eat a lot of high-carb foods and not very much protein or slow carbs like potatoes, whole grains, and that sort of thing. If you want to have more energy, cut out the soda, and start eating more homecooked meals instead. Do you know how to cook for yourself? It will definitely help! Keep me posted okay?

I recommend yoga. It has helped me with swimming because I'm never out of breath. I've noticed the difference when I've stopped doing yoga even only for a week, I became out of breath swimming for only one lap.

@ healthfitnessguy thanks for the advice it works for me :-D

I'm glad to hear that what HFG has worked for you! Can you tell me what you've been doing to improve your stamina? I could certainly use some of it myself.

I am so glad that the advice has been working for you! Did you follow all the advice or have you been following bits of it? I know that even just one of the things I recommended would help you out a lot!

Hey Rickyross, it's been while since I've heard from you. How are you doing now? I'd love to hear how you're doing and if my advice has helped you out at all. Thanks!

yoga surely helps. try doing power yoga. it helps to gain weight also for some extent. it controls the intake of food. youll feel full when the necessary amount of food is inside your belly. it is like a monitoring system of your body. this is my own experience