I have been running for slightly over a year now, but have started to have some doubts about the point of it all...... there are two things that bug me about running:

1. If you dont use it you lose it, when ever I have a few weeks off it seems like I have lost quite abit of form, making it all abit of a waste.

2. When I think about it.....running doesn t really require much skill, its basically a sport that is solely based on the accumulation of training.

Please give me slap and re-inspire me

I think running gives you the most bang for your buck when you compare the health benefits of it to other sports.

True true...nothing beats the running high!

Besides bang for your buck, it s a relatively inexpensive sport (compared to a gym membership, etc), and you can do it just about anywhere, anytime. With consistency, things get easier.

True true....but is got to annoy you that u lose it when u dont use it?

Of course, even more the motivation to get out there.

You runners! So eager :)

isn't this true with any sport? if you golf, then take the winter off, believe me it's gonna be a of a month when you pick up the clubs again.
anyone who participates in any sport has to maintain themselves, no? tennis anyone? let your game go for a few weeks, and it suffers. i'd say it's more the nature of the human body than the fault of any one sport, especially running.
you snooze, you lose -- so goes life, not just running.
now - keep that game uptight buddy.

I dont think it is the same with tennis,football,golf,ect there is a large element of skill required aswell as fitness, which must be learnt.....and admittedly these learnt skills will be rusty after a break but they aren t lost......where as running involves little skill and is almost entirely about achieving fitness thought the accumulation of training....and when ever u stop u just loose it and u have to start from scratch.

I dont want to be thinking like this though.....convince me i am wrong please.....please

"Use it or lose it" is part of why I look at distance running as a "lifestyle" more so than a sport. It really requires a mindset that you are going to run everyday (or at least 4 or 5 a week) to maintain/develop. There's no "pick up game" or "weekend warrior" slant to this running pursuit. For me and for many it really becomes an all encompassing lifestyle that involves daily training, watching what you eat, recovering adequately for the next run, massages/spas, cross-training and just a host of "things" you do because "you're a runner". It's not like your neighbor who grabs his bowling bag for a once a week league night. Nor is it like your co-worker who might jump on the treadmill at the fitness center because all the stair-steppers and ellipticals are being used. No, this pursuit of endurance, this quest for distance does go beyond the contents of your gym bag and beyond the minutes from when you lace up until you untie. That's what makes it special and that's what makes it an everyday habit. "Doesn't require much skill" is really the beauty of it. I dare say, most runners aren't coordinated enough to dribble a basketball, chew gum, drive the lane and reverse hands in mid-air to do an opposite side layup. By and large, we are a group that has more "head skill" than brute skill. Because when you take into consideration much of what I mentioned above, running is a "head" game. Putting one foot in front of the other is simplicity at it's finest. But having the mental stamina to do it everyday, week after week, month after month, year after year, mile after mile after mile is where I see "the skill" really comes from. Unlike other sports, distance running becomes a "new" experience everyday. The weather changes, your routes change, your routine changes, the scenery changes, it's all about wrapping your head around the world you live in and soaking in those sights, sounds, smells and feels. I get a huge sense of stability in my life in the fact that I "know" every length of road and trail within a ten mile radius of my house and of my office. It's because I've ran every inch of them, time and time and time again. But they change with time and I'm the guy to notice. I "get" to notice, if you catch my drift. It's an awesome feeling to me to know I'm out there and seeing it all. One last little tidbit. My running hero and a long time standout marathoner on the national level is penis Beardsley (aka Beards). I've read his book (had it autographed even), every article he's mentioned in, been to many of his speeches at race expos and this year finally got to his namesake half-marathon he hosts. Anyway, I tell you all this because penis has been running for probably 30-years at marathon training levels much of that time, over 100-mpw type of running and in all those weeks and weeks of piling mileage, Beards says that he can vividly remember every single run. Every.single.run. Isn't that amazing? Is there any other pro athlete that you have ever heard that remembers every single practice? Does Tiger Woods remember every round of golf he's shot? This just floored me. But you know what? I don't think it is because Beards is some quirk of nature...well maybe a little since not all of us are molded to run sub 2:10 marathons, but anyway, I think why Beards remembers every run is because every run is memorable. It's a mind game out there on the roads. It's a developed "skill" have you to take a half-hour, an hour or two hours or whatever time you spend at it and get your mind to tune in to its surroundings. To tune in to your body and what's happening in your legs, your lungs and your heart. To go further and to go faster. Yes, it's a simple skill, but it's a skill few have and few develop because you can't get it from sitting on the couch. So there's my "slap" for ya 50pence. Now git out there and RUN!!

Damn.
:1: aint that the truth.

No word of a lie they really does help, i can feel the love and passion coming out of my screen. Thanks for going to the effort.

I consider myself slapped.....your words should probably be saved for future generations of people who question the faith like me.

Right on, Jrjo! I'm getting inspired to add another day into my routine. :D

~Astara~

I have to laugh, because I can describe everything I see, hear on my everyday runs outside.....but on race day someone will say "did you see that guy dressed like Elvis at the first waterstop" or "wasn't it cool running through that tunnel" and I'm :shrug: . I've run a marathon in town 3x the 1/2 once and I was running with someone that said "this is part of the course" and I reply "it is???" :(

I have a poster in my workout area that says "it's all about the journey" and for me it has to be. It was about the race itself, I'd be lost on the course.

:1:
On one hand, like jrjo, I know almost every inch of my main training routes. I've watched people move in and out of houses, watched their landscaping change, I know who takes care of their house and who doesn't, etc.
On the other hand, for races and routes I use for tempo runs, I'm pretty oblivious to what is around me. For example, I run on this nice trail into the Air Force Academy for lunch time runs. I always run that really hard since I need to get back to the office. I recently was informed that their is an old stone farm house right next to the creek I run along. I had NO idea what people were talking about. I had never noticed it before. When I finally saw it, it was huge!
I also have race day blackout, too. I ran one race and there was a Mariachi band playing at Mile 1. I have no recollection of them.
And does anyone get distances messed up? A stretch of trail or road seems like about 100 yards in my head. Then I find out it is really 3/4 of a mile. I told some friends that they could take a certain trail to get to some park. I told them it was probably 2 miles. It was 4.5. They hate me.