How does one deal with sadness, the feeling of being alone. I have "friends" but they only call me when they need me for something.

Health Advisor

Hello.

Everyone is different. I, for an instance, like to read books, to create new worlds where I can play active role (in my imagination). 

As for your friends, it would be a good idea to try organising something with them, but you need to be the initiator. If they only contact you when they need something, maybe you're just passive about hanging out with them. If they reject your invitation, it's time to move on and make new friends. There are numerous people out there who share same interests as you are. 

I work in the public sector and a good place to meet new people. But what i dont know how to do is approach the stranger with sounding like i want something. Most people dont want to be bothered.

Health Advisor
Start small talk. After first few sentences, you will see what's that person like. If he/she accepts dialogue, you can continue, if not, search further.
New era is full of paradox, this is the time of social media, and we are lonely. Not very funny, right? :)
I am sure that many people out there could use a friend like you. I see how you are helping people on our site and I believe you can do the same in real world as only caring people tend to help to complete strangers.

In here we eliminate the awkwardness. Out in the real world , if we come out with "hey I like watching teen Romanic comedys"( not that I do, it's just an example) people will automatically think you're a weirdo. . . But I will try.

Health Advisor
Yes, you are right. That's why you need to guess someone's interest.
I made a lot of friends through sports. We were watching games every week and during conversations we discovered that we share same interests in other fields (music, books, etc...).
If you like to read, maybe it's good idea to look out for some book clubs. Just an idea. :)