Hi everyone,

I was wondering about this for a couple of days now and I honestly think that this is possible but I wanted to ask this question here in order to be sure.

My aunt usually has panic attacks, not so often though, but on this specific night she was watching a horror movie and she got so scared that she started having a panic attack and her husband had to turn off the TV and calm her down.

I was wondering if anyone here had a similar experience, if a movie caused you to go into a panic attack?

Hey Gaia,

Yeah, this is definitely possible. I mean, even me, and a lot of other people who never had any connection with depression freak out when they are seeing a really good horror movie, so this can be really serious for people who usually have panic attacks when they aren't watching these movies.

I honestly don't know anyone who had a panic attack because of a movie they've watched but if you connect these panic attacks with horror movies, it absolutely makes sense. My sister (who doesn't have depression either) couldn't sleep sometimes because she was too scared of the movie she saw.

Guest surely has a point there, Gaia.

We all freaked out sometime when we watched a horror movie. Even the ones that keep saying they are always laughing at horror movies sometimes freak out when a really good horror movie is showing.

Just imagine how the people who usually have panic attacks could actually react to a horror movie. I keep talking about horror movies because I don't honestly think that other movies can make you have a panic attack. Maybe some kind of love movies if you are are into love and that stuff and you don't think that you will ever find love. It might happen, I suppose.

Oh yes. This definitely can happen. For me especially if I'm watching some horror movie. I adore to watch horror movies but I have anxiety attacks because of them always. So that is quite normal, but when you see that some type of movies doesn't fit to you, you should definitely stop watching them. After those movies I was waking up and I couldn't go back to sleep. So, dear Gaia everyone in here has a point and they are totally right. I have experience with it and I know what this means. That is nothing weird, actually it is very common. 

So, that is why my teen daughter (she is 17) is having those panic attacks all the time! I was wondering what is going on with her, I know that she loves to watch SCI fi movies but I couldn't guess that they are the main reason why is she having anxiety and panic attacks. Now, when I look back, she always had panic attacks when she was watching a movie like this one. Probably some scenes are connected to some her old or new fears and that is why she is being like this. Thank you for clearing this to me, I will go to see her doctor and to see what we can do about it.
Thank you.

Good day everyone. Now I can see that my sister is one very smart person. Because of things like those, she avoids TV totally. She is not watching any kind of news, films or something like that. Actually, she is not watching anything that can piss her off. She is one very smart person. I remember that she was panicking because some thing can become real or something - those are the things that she notice on the TV very often. That is why that is giving her panic attacks and she was very scared. Now, all that she is doing - she is reading the books. 

OK, I totally understand your sister, but I need to tell you that that is not a solution at all. She is running away from problems, and that is not good. You need to know what is going on in this world, in your country, in your street. Why? Because when you go out and see something that you haven't expect, you can easily get panic attacks. So, you can't avoid it or hide from it, you need to find a way to control those panic attacks. That is what I deeply believe in. Also, I am sure that this is the only way.