Hello everyone,

I have a problem and I hope that some of you might be able to help me out.

You see, my son went to visit his grandparents, he is about 300 km away from me and my husband now and they think that he might have what is called separation anxiety disorder. Apparently, all of this is happening because he is really attached to my husband and me and this is the first time he went so far away from us. I am here to ask you if anyone knows how to ease this disorder of separation anxiety in children, any clues?

Hey Guest,

Anxiety disorders are something that takes time to treat, or to make it easier for children to cope with it.

I know only of one way to treat it (or to learn how to cope with it) and it is cognitive-behavioral treatment. It will teach your child several major skills useful when away from his parents, and it will teach him how to fight his anxiety thoughts. It is very important that he starts the treatment as early as possible because this will have a big impact on his teenage life as well, so you better find him a good doctor.

I didn't mean it like that, I mean, it is still a very useful advice that you gave me there and I will sure think about it when my son comes back home, but what I meant was if there is anything that I can do now to make all of this easier for him? Is there anything that I can do, my husband maybe, or my husband's parents who he is staying with, maybe they can do something? I think that he is too young to talk to a psychologist anyway, are you sure that is even a good idea?

I am not sure what would be the best thing that you could do now, you know your son the best, you should know how to calm him down.

His grandparents should probably talk to him, however, I don't know what they should tell him, they should be experienced and smart enough to know how to deal with a child of his age. Maybe there is a psychologist there to who your son could talk to? And no, he is not too young to be talking to a psychologist, there are psychologists specialized in talking with kids dealing with separation anxiety.

He has to talk to a child psychologist in order to learn the technique which will help him to ease his separation anxiety and to eventually overcome it. He is not too young and this is not something that you don't see a lot, it happens more than you think, your son is not the only one. Other kids also go and talk to a psychologist for they are there to teach them how to overcome this fear. Since it is the first time that your son is away from you, it is normal that this is happening to him, he is still just a kid.

Hello there everyone.
It definitely takes a time to treat it. But a couple of things you should know about this. For example, separation anxiety disorder is a condition in which a child becomes fearful, it becomes very nervous when he or she is far away from home or separated from a loved one. Usually he or she becomes this way when is far away from parents or brother / sister. Some children also develop physical symptoms, such as headaches or stomachaches and a lot of parents can't connect it with some kind of behavior. Also, it is very hard to understand kids so my advice is - whenever you notice that your kid has some symptom, you should go and visit the doctor just to be sure.

Well, this is the case where kid needs to see the psychologist with the parents and very soon, because if you let this untreated it can have really bad affects on kids. It is really hard to talk about the treatments because no one knows in which stadium of the anxiety disorder this kid is. But it is not that easy to cure it and to cope with it because people can't understand this, and I don't want to talk about this how kids can't understand and deal with anxiety disorder.

It definitely needs a time to treat it and to learn how to live with it. 

Hi there. I have exactly the same problem. I got divorced a couple of years ago and during the winter break, my daughter is spending a time with father. It was OK at the beginning, but than my ex husband found a girlfriend and since that day, my daughter doesn't love to go there. I was asking her does she has some problems with it, but she told me that she doesn't, just she doesn't like her and she doesn't like to spend a lot of time far away from me. So, I also notice that she has this anxiety disorder and we went to the therapies together, I tried to talk to her but it seems to me that nothing is helping her. I don't know what to do about this....I mean, she needs to see her father.

Well, you must continue with the treatment. That is necessary. This is the only way that your kid will be able to cope with anxiety disorder while she is far away from you and from the home. Look, separation anxiety disorder often develops after a significant stressful or traumatic event in the child's life, so there must be a reason why she is refusing to stay at this home when this lady is there with her father. I have a feeling that she hasn't tell you the whole story and I am sure that her dad also doesn't have a clue what is going on. But on the other hand, children whose parents are over-protective may be more prone to separation anxiety.

I don't know. I have tried to talk to her but she is telling me that everything is OK with her. Also, when I talked to my ex husband I asked him about this, and he told me that he didn't notice that anything weird is going on and that our daughter is getting OK with his new GF. I told him about this disorder and he was talking with her as well, but he was not able to find out something new. Amway, maybe it is my fault because ever since we divorced I am over - protective, you are right. I also want to give her everything. Maybe I am making a mistake in this one....