Hi there. I am worried about my little cousin. He was always really good kid, he was always happy and funny, but suddenly he became really quiet and nobody knows what to do about this whole situation. He doesn't want to play anymore. I was talking to some of my friends about this whole situation and they told me that there is a possibility that he has problems with separation anxiety. So, I was wondering can you help me? Can you tell me how can you recognize separation anxiety disorder in infants? Should I tell his parents what I have noticed? Tnx a lot!

Hello.  Separation anxiety in children is actually really easy to recognize because they can't hide it. Usually, this kid will have some panic attacks, and I believe that this is going on with your cousin as well. But generally, this is something that doctors meet with all the time. That is because many children experience separation anxiety between 18 months and three years old and doctor will usually tell you that this is a time when it is normal to feel some anxiety when a parent leave. Definitley you should talk to the parents. Tell me, how did you notice this? 

Hi there. Thank you. Look, I am taking a care of her for a while now. I never noticed this before, I think that this started to happen two months ago. She was always playing with me, she was happily but now she is refusing everthing and as soon as she wakes up and notice that her parents are not around, she started to cry. I just can't stand this anymore. As soon as they appear, she is OK, of course not like before, but she is OK. She is red in her face bacause of crying and when her parents asked my why she is red, I tell them that she is crying. They believe that I did something wrong that made her cry. I don't know how to tell this to them because I think that they will be mad at me. That is why I asked other people.

Celebrity

This is definitely not your fault. They can ask anyone. You should sit with them and talk to them. You should tell your parents as well because they will be on your side. Together, you can try to talk to parents of this little girl. Any doctor will tell that this type of problem is easy to recognize. As soon as kid notice that parents are not around, the kid will start to cry. For example, you can make a test to show that this is actually happening. Fake that they are away from home, let her mom be in the another room and she will see that this kid is crying because she is not there. Good luck. 

Hi there. I agree this is not your fault. Try to explain this to her parents letting them know that this happens to a lot of kids, even before about six months of age, infants show little special attachment to a particular caregiver and no distress at being left alone. They are scared of being left alone and it starts to be a problem, because, at about eight months, babies begin to react by crying and fussing when their parents leave the room. Bedtimes become a struggle, with the child refusing care, it is crying and it becomes s problem. I think that this trick might be a good option. 

Look, there are some symptoms that can help you recognize it. Here are some of those symptoms:
- the child becomes excessive distress when he or she notices that their parents are leaving the home,
- this kid will show an unwillingness to be alone,
- the kid will start to have nightmares about separation from home and loved ones, it will have a nightmare as soon as the kid realize that parents are not at home,
- the kid will cry constantly because of the extreme fear that something will happen to them,
- if you want to put him or her back to sleep, this can become a huge problem.
Any expert can explain this to the parents, so you really should not be that scared that they will put the blame on you. Don't worry, easy talks will help them understand and you will get rid of the constant stress. You should not wait anymore to tell them, you should tell them this before it becomes a problem.

Celebrity

I agree with Miss Carla, those are just some of the symptoms and those symptoms are easy to recognize. I believe that those parents are away from their homes all the time and they don't notice this at all. If you suggest them, for example, to be there for a couple of days, they will notice this. And that is a time when you need to tell them that something is going and that they should talk to someone. Because, unlike developmentally normal separation anxiety, children do not outgrow separation anxiety disorder. If this is not healed, it can be a problem in the future.   

Hello. I know that parents can be really hard headed on this one, they are frustrated with their baby anxiety separation issue, and on the other hand infant and toddler are causing a lot of problems as well and in that case parents do believe that something is wrong with their child rather than accepting this natural stage of development. That is why you can expect that they blame you for their kid behavior. But instead of being mad at someone, they should accept this because every doctor will tell them that this is a normal stage of the development of the kids and if they start to take care about this on time, everything will be ok. Take care and good luck.