I really need a help! I think that I am going to lose my mind and I don't know what to do about this. Ever since my kid turned 8 months, I can't do anything to calm him down when I need to go somewhere. I don't know what to do. I was really concerned so I went to see my doctor and he told me that my kid has some symptoms of separation anxiety. He also explained to me that there is no reason for me to worry about this a lot because this happens in a lot of babies. Now, I have to go to some party in a 10 days and I can't take him with me. Can you tell me how can you ease separation anxiety in children?

Hi. Anxiety in children that age is pretty normal. They are scared that you will leave without coming back and the kid is used that you are here all the time, with him. Anyway, there are a couple of things that you can do to help your kid. For example, don't leave the house telling him "Your mommy will go away now, but I will be back soon". It won't work. Just try to sneak out from your own house, Baby is going to cry, that is sure, but it will stop very soon. Also, try to build a safe environment for him. 

Celebrity

I agree. Giving a hint to your baby that you are leaving but that you will come back has this yo - yo effect. Maybe the kid is small but it is not stupid. Sneaking out is the best option. Maybe you should try to sneak out at this party, but you have 10 days to practice. Also, if you have a chance, you should try to spend a lot of time with your kid that is surrounded with many other people. I believe that this is just one of the ways that will occupy your baby. Try this and tell us did it worked. 

Hello. Because I went through this situation, I really want to know one thing. When your kid needs to go to the sleep, are you all the time with him? Do you wait until he feels asleep and then runs everything in the room when you are thinking that he is about to wake up, to let him know that you are there, that you never left this room? You are doing this probably because you are trying to offer him all the safety in this world. But you see, this can be a mistake as well and you need to stop doing this. You can leave him to cry a little bit when he sees that he is alone....That is one of the ways how to easy separation.

Hello Jenny.
Yes, I do that all the time. I really don't want to let go my kid to cry or to be scared because he is alone in the empty, dark room. I mean, this room is never totally in the dark, but I am scared that he will be really scared about this and I really don't know what else can happen. to him. Anyway, how did you get over this, what did you do to make him feel asleep alone, without you being there? It would really help me to know. Yes, I have 10 more days and I am sure that I will be able to do something about this :/

Hello. I am glad that you have asked. It is actually very simple. So, before you put your kid to sleep, give him a proper bath and read some story for good - night. It is very important for the kid to relaxes before he goes to sleep, if he is in constant cramp, he won't feel a sleep that soon and that easy. Also, always leave some light - not a lot of light, but some small lamp or daylight if you are putting him to nap in the noon. Put some relaxing music, such as oceans wave for example that also going to help him to relax. Relaxation is a key to this problem. Once the kid is relaxed, it will sleep much better.

Listen, I do know that it can be very difficult to hear a child cry it seems to you that it won't stop, but you need to remember just one thing and that is that separation anxiety does have a positive aspect. So, maybe it sounds rough, but sometimes you really need to leave your kid to cry, even for a couple of times until he or she gets used that you won't run away every time when you hear crying. It is hard, I understand, but sometimes that is the only way to help your kid and to help yourself as well. 

Yes, it is hard but it helped me a lot. I had problems with my kid as well - my Lorry was really close to me and when I needed to go to the toilet she was crying all the time until I didn't show up there in front of her. So, when I tried to leave her for the first time, she was crying hysterically! I believed that she won't stop, I can't describe you how I felt. those 2 hours lasted longer than my life. But then she stopped with crying. When I entered the room, she was crying in the sleep, but she was sleeping. Next time was much easier and very soon, this just went away. Like it never happened.

Hello. I disagree with an option that you sneak out because I believe that the effect can be only worse. Imagine, now you are there, and the next moment you are not. This can cause a traumatic experience for the kid. If you are let him know that you are there and that you are leaving, I think that this will have bigger effects. For example, give him his favorite toy and say "see you later" and kiss him. He will cry, but he will know that you will come back for sure. Don't forget to smile when you are going through that door and wave to your kid. Those techniques work for sure. 

I totally agree with you. My kid is older now and thanks God he doesn't have problems with this anymore, but when I left without saying goodbye he was crying all the time. He just didn't' wanted to stop. When I used this other method, leaving telling him that I will come back, he was also crying but not as much as before. You need to remind your baby that you will be back always. Don't tell your kid that you are leaving, just let him know that you will come back. It will be hard at the beginning, tears will be present there all the time, but it will become much better after a while. I am sure.