help me please, I am really worried for my daughter Jenny. she is 10 years old and I believed that this she is showing some early stages of puberty but I was so wrong. my fault totally because I got divorced and I didn't pay a lot of attention to her. she was with her dad all the time. I didn't know that this can cause some diagnose for her because we were really close when three of us were living together. anyway, my ex- husband called me telling me that our kid was diagnosed with separation anxiety. is separation anxiety in children a mental disorder? HELPPP!

It definitely affects mental health in a kid and its general health condition. You should know that this diagnoses as a normal life stage first develops at about 7 months of age. Next, it is at its strongest at 10-18 months of age but it usually disappears before the child turns three years old. Generally, separation anxiety disorder is likely caused by the combination of genetic and environmental vulnerabilities and like this, it affects a mental health, but I don't believe that it is really a mental disorder. Because it is treatable. But the doctor can definitely tell you more about this, about anxiety in children

Celebrity

Hello there.  It is in the category of mental disorders and illness. Generally, anxiety is a mental disorder, it doesn't matter in which shape it comes and who it is going to "attack". That is why doctors are telling all the time that this needs to be treated. My suggestion for you is just to follow the symptoms and your kids' behaviors. As soon as you realize that he or she doesn't want to separate from you, react soon because this will prevent some longer fights with this issue and some other stages of this disorder. Yes, it is a mental disordered but very treatable. 

I agree. It is because all those kids who are affected by SAD and who have been forced to leave their caregivers in a lot of situations may become agitated and angry. They typically become preoccupied with reuniting with their caregivers and when you think about this a little bit, you will get that this is actually one of those types of mental disorders. Like someone already told you, observe your kid and his or her development. When this type of separation does happen, your kid may seem withdrawn, sad, or have difficulty concentrating on work or play, refusing everything. Those are some of the symptoms. 

I am also worried for my kid and while I was seeking for help typing the symptoms of his behavior, I found out about this site. My kid is a teen boy, he is almost 13 years old and I don't know what is going on with him. He was always independent, we didn't need to worry about him and he was always telling us that he doesn't need us, that he will be OK. But that has changed in the last couple of months. I don't know why. He just became distracted, annoying, alone - he just doesn't want to leave the house and he is not going to school anymore. I can't make him. Neither his dad can. I caught him one day, he was crying and I know what he was telling us before about those boys who are crying...I don't know what to do? Does he have anxiety as well?

Hello. Yes, your kid also is showing signs of separation anxiety disorder in teen kids. Are you sure that this lasts for the last couple of months? Because if this is so, I think that this has developed in his case very soon. Is he aggressive? Anyway, something must have happened to him in the school or while he was going to school and that is why he doesn't want to go out anymore. I assume that he won't talk about this as well. But if he was crying, this seems more like a depression, but anyway, you need to seek professional help and you need to find a way to make him talk, to tell you what is going on. 

No, I don't believe that this is just a depression, I believe that there is an anxiety mixed with depression. There are several reasons for this, but one of the most important reason is that your kid doesn't feel safe in this environment. Now, parents need to find the way why this happens. And you also need to create a perfect environment for this kid. If you don't know how then the professional help is needed and it is a priority. Anyway, now you can see that this is actually a type of mental disorder. Remember, any type of anxiety is a mental disorder.