Hey everyone. My wife and I are extremely worried about our kid. Well, to cut long story short, but I really want to know how to help your kid who developed OCD in childhood. We are trying to help him ever since we know about this, ever since we found out that he has this diagnose.

I have to be honest and say that we haven't saw any changes in his behavior, he is helping us a lot because he is not hiding any of the symptoms, but I still want to know more about this anxiety in children That is the only way how I will be able to help him, right? Help!

This is usually treated with psychotherapy, sometimes with antidepressants taken along with psychotherapy as well.

There is this special type of cognitive behavioral therapy (which is one of the therapies used in psychotherapy) called exposure and response prevention and it is considered to be the most effective type of counseling for OCD.

So your child should start seeing a psychologist. I know that there are a lot of parents out there who are against counseling with psychologists for kids but there is definitely nothing wrong with this, it is actually extremely helpful and can help your child lead a normal life.

I believe that Gaia has a point and that she is totally right about this one. You haven't told us a lot about this, so I really don't have a clue in which stadium is this issue. Since you told us that you are visiting the doctor because of this and that your son is helping you, that means that he is using some antidepressants or medications? Am I right or wrong?

Generally, this issue requires doctors help, there is no chance that you and your wife can do something about it to help him. You can only cooperate with doctor in order to help him. 

I know that my post is little bit confusing, but I really don't know what to write or tell. Yes, he was using some medications and antidepressants as well, but since he has this diagnose for more than 5 years, I really do believe that medicines and antidepressants can't help him. That is why I really don't know what to do. I was talking to his doctor and he told us that he still doesn't believe that it is time to try some therapies, but I think that it is . Maybe I should seek for psychotherapist and psychotherapy on my own and explain this situation to him? I am not smart, I feel like I am not myself anymore.

Antidepressants for a kid? That is not good at all and I wouldn't try that again if I were you.

Yes, you should seek a psychologist and tell him about your son's situation so that he can determine what would be the best thing for you to do. I am guessing that your son will have to undergo therapy and that he will have to visit this psychologist about 2-3 times a week, that is how these things work. This is probably the only thing that would be able to help your son and the sooner you do something about it, the better.

You should definitely seek for another opinion, because giving your kid any type of antidepressants can be extremely dangerous. I believe that you are aware of that fact. It is not that smart idea

Anyway, you and your wife can do a lot of things about this. For example, you can always talk to your kid about OCD, telling him what this is and I am sure that he will accept it much easier than you think.

If you can't deal with it alone, than you should find a good psychiatrist for him, someone who will be able to talk with him about this and help him accept his condition. 

It's hard for a parent to deal with his child who is suffering from OCD all on his own. I know that because I am a father of a child with OCD and his mother died when she gave birth to him. It was very hard at the beginning and I was against psychologists but in the end I had to give in because I couldn't do it on my own. And as it would appear my son got a lot better after just a few weeks of consulting with a psychologist, I am telling you from personal experience that it would be the best thing that you could do.

Exactly, there is nothing wrong with visiting a psychologist, I know some people who will tell you like "why would I do that, I am not crazy", but that is a totally wrong point of view. Every single person in this world could use to talk to a psychologist at least once a month, it can help you with your mental state a lot.

When it comes to your kid, it doesn't matter that he is young, it is best to start his therapy while he is that young so that he will have a better future, it will be a lot easier for him.

And be sure that your kid is going to be grateful later that you let him talk to a psychologist. I used to visit a psychologist because I had some problems at school although I never really had any disorder or anything similar. These meetings with the school psychologist really helped me get through my elementary school and I found out that it also helped me a lot while I was growing up. I had a very good school psychologist and thanks to her I can say that I am who I am today so don't be scared to let your kid talk to a psychologist.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a type of anxiety disorder. It is a potentially disabling illness that traps people in endless cycles of repetitive thoughts and behaviors. People with this disorder have unusual fears, repeated and distressing thoughts in their mind. The person with OCD probably has Fear of making a mistake, thinking of evil thoughts, fear of harming others, having obsession of something; order, symmetry, or exactness, Repeatedly  washing hands and bathing, hesitation in shaking hands and touching anything, eating in a specific manner, repeating words and phrases over and over, Collecting or hoarding thing of no use. These are the symptoms of OCD, if someone has any of this signs, should immediately treat it.

OCD is cured by its own or as you are aging only if it is short term. If you notice strong signs of this disorder, so it must be treated as soon as possible. Medication is best way to cure OCD among children. Other than medicines, Cognitive behavioral therapy, Counselling  are also very effective way. Children need proper care and love to overcome this problem.

Good Luck