Good day everyone. I am worried mom of one kid. She is 17 years old and ever since she is in the high school, she is impossible. I just can' talk to her, she won't listen to any of my advice - and everything I am telling is for her own good. But she is having some panic disorder and I can't even tell her that she needs to visit her doctor, maybe he can help me. So I am really desperate and I want your help. Can you tell me some home Management Strategies for Panic Disorder in young girls?

First, you need to talk to her about anxiety and panic attacks. She needs to understand these two terms. This is a very important first step, as it helps children and teens understand what is happening to them when they experience anxiety or panic attacks.. Let your child know that all the worries and physical feelings she is experiencing has a name: anxiety and panic attacksHelp your child understand the facts about these things: anxiety is normal and adaptive, as it helps us prepare for danger, and panic attacks are harmless, although they can feel very uncomfortable or scary.  

Hi there,

Psychological therapy and medication are the two main types of treatment for panic disorder. Depending on your daughter's individual circumstances, she may need one of these treatment types or a combination of the two.

Well, speaking about home management, I don't think that you can do much but you can always do what Gaia said. However, if she doesn't want to talk to you (she is a teenager, teenagers are so hard to handle), then you can't really do anything at home. You need to take her to a psychologist, and you need to take her to a good one.

I'm sorry, YoungWildFree,

I guess that my advice doesn't make much sense since your daughter doesn't want to talk to you. I apologize. I don't think that a psychologist can help as well since she is probably going to decline talking to him as well.

Does your daughter have someone that she respects and to who she wants to talk to? Maybe one of your parents? If she does have this person, you need to find it and tell him or her to talk to her. She will probably listen to this person's advice, maybe they can persuade her to talk to a psychologist.

Teens are unbearable. They are terrible to work or get along with even when they are not having any problems of this kind.

Yes, the best option here would be for you to talk to her, but since she doesn't want to listen, since you two don't really have a good relationship, I don't know what could you possibly do. Well, psychologist is a good option but who knows if she is going to want to talk to him, right? I believe that Gaia's advice is quite awesome to be honest, if there is anybody older who she really respects and trusts.

Hey Worried Wife,

What about her dad? Is she in a good relation with her dad? Even if the two of you aren't talking to each other or something, if she loves her dad and if she wants to talk to him, it would be wise to get her to talk to him. Maybe he can point out her problems to her and she might trust his words and do what he suggests her to do. This is just one advice, but if it is as I say it could be, than this conversation would do so much good for her.

Hello there.

YoungWildFree, talking with the physiologist and doctor is the best possible thing that you can do. I suppose that, like a lot of young girls, you can't convince her to talk to you about anything. That is why you cannot explain her what are panic and anxiety attacks, right? Kids, especially teens can be really hardheaded and that is the worst problem. So, the best home management is to try talking with her. Sit with her and try to explain some things to her. If that is not helpful, you should seek for doctor's help and for the medications as well.