Hello, folks. My husband and I are getting divorced. We cannot live together anymore. Our child will stay with me, we agreed that. However, he is much attached to his father too, so I am afraid he might get separation anxiety after divorce. Can anyone fill me in with more details about this disorder - separation anxiety in children? Thanks.

It depends on how old he is. If you are going by the definition of "infant" your child is under one years old and would not consciously remember his father if separated.

I think if your child is very familiar with the father then the relationship must also be reciprocated. Are you considering visitation rights?

For this reason many parents that adopt want young children. Children that young do not have to contend with the anxiety of not knowing or being separated from biological parents.

Hello. Separation anxiety can appear with children who are apart from a close family member. It doesn’t mean that your kid will experience this disorder a priori. You haven’t mentioned how old your kid is. If this happen, take him to a kids’ psychologist or psychiatrist. If necessary, he can include some medications, but it isn’t necessary. I am sorry I don’t know more details. In this case, I recommend you to consult with a professional. I hope he will find a solution. Good luck!