Hello everyone. My goddaughter was diagnosed with separation anxiety disorder. She is 6 years old and her parents noticed that she is different than before. To cut long story short, she will go to the school, first grade in a couple of months, and all of her classmates and she had some day for themselves with their teacher, to get each other know better. After that day, she is totally different. She told me once that she really doesn't see a reason why she should go to school. So, they took her to the school psychologist and he told them that she is having separation anxiety. I want to know one thing - How Is Separation Anxiety Disorder In Children Treated?

Hello. I think that the best treatment for separation anxiety in children is the one that involves cognitive behavioral therapy. That is actually a treatment approach that usually helps children learn to understand and manage their fears. Now, there is one thing also called exposure therapy, and this type of therapy is s type that is a specialized form of CBT. It can be used as well. Now, this type of therapy works by carefully exposing children to separation in small doses because doctors see this as a way to help them control their anxiety problems.Doctors might also use relaxation training because it is helpful for kids as well. 

Celebrity

Yes, I agree. This is usually a therapy that helps kids, but what happens if this therapy is not adequate for kids? In that case, doctors usually want to try with pharmacological, and this is a therapy that they usually use when psychotherapy and behavioral interventions are not adequate to manage symptoms. In that case, they usually prescribe medications that may be prescribed to alleviate a child’s distress and facilitate therapy. There are several medications that can be helpful to kids who are diagnosed with separation anxiety disorder, and I believe that the doctor is an adequate person to tell you which medications are helpful. 

Hello there. In the case of my goddaughter, I think that parents won't accept to give her any type of medications. I was talking to them about this and they told me that this is not a good option for a six years old girl. I don't know, maybe they are right, but I believe that sometimes they need to try everything to heal her. Of course, the doctor that is a good friend of mine tried to explain this to me telling me that this is not a huge problem and if it's treated adequate, the kid will be OK. Anyway, they are more for physiotherapy but about medications, they are doubting about this one. Anyway, how about side -effects of those medications? Are those side - effects dangerous?

Celebrity

Hi there. I do understand their fear. But, sometimes they need to do everything in order to their kids be better. Yes, like any other therapy, medications can cause a side - effects in this one as well. But it is something that will go away soon, especially in 6 years old girl.  Sure, her parents should talk to a psychiatrist as well about this issue before they made a conclusion on their own.  Maybe a simple therapy with this girl will be just fine, maybe they will need to apply therapy for a while, but the doctor needs to decide about this. Not parents, unfortunately. 

I also had this thing on my mind - why I should give a kid a medication, my kid is really young for that. Anyway, I have learned one thing, I know that kid is mine and that no one in this world wants the best for him than me, but sometimes we don't have this power to heal our kids from those problems. I know that it seems scary when you are aware that your kid needs to take medications, but you should know that medication is often prescribed for children with anxiety, as it is for adults. They often help reduce anxiety. But also, cognitive behavioral therapy can be very effective for kids who are anxious, sometimes better than medications. But don't jump to the conclusions. Take your kid to the doctor and let him decide what is the best.

My kid was 8 years old when doctors diagnosed a separation anxiety. We took him to the different analyses and programs, and the doctor told us immediately what type of problem he has. So, her recommend us to start with an exposure therapy. According to his words, this is very different from traditional talk therapy, in which the patient and a therapist might explore what is the reason of the anxiety in the kid. That is all that they do in hopes of changing her behavior. In this type of exposure therapy, doctors will try to change the behavior to get rid of the fear of the separation. So, I said yes. I would do anything for my kid. And for a couple of weeks, I was able to see that my kid is getting better. I can't describe how happy I was.

Hello there.

Somehow, I always believe that Cognitive - behavioral therapies are the best. I know that I was applying this therapy to treat my own anxiety problems and it worked fine for me. I think that it can be good for kids as well. This is a therapy where all the therapist is trying to help children to become aware their thoughts. With united forces, he therapist and child examines the child's thoughts. In that case, a child will understand and tell the therapies what is his greatest fear.  Medications are OK, but I would ask a doctor to start with therapy first, to see what is going to happen.