Hi, I am worried for my 17 year old son and I have a question regarding his health, or better to say, mental state. It seems to me that he is always indecisive, that he cannot decide anything on his own and even though he is a good kid, I am worried because we never had one fight, not even a small quarrel. He agrees with everything we say and honestly, that frightens me. Is it possible to diagnose dependent personality disorder in teens?

That couple of things you have mentioned really do sound like signs of dependent personality disorder, but a final diagnosis has to be given by a doctor so you can take him to a specialist for examination. There are other symptoms that should be concerned as part of that disorder, such as self-sacrificing, fear of failure, avoiding responsibility, leadership, fear of staying alone…

i think all teens have some type of dependency issue. i guess it is just a matter of how severe. i suggest councling and possibly a psychologist to diagnose him so he can get the treatment he needs to be happy

Well there are some parents out there that would consider this a blessing. This can be some kind of disorder, but not sure if this is DPD. Have you tried to talk to him about this? Maybe just a little talk about it can make him ack differently. I'm not sure I agree completely with sebastian, I don't think that all children have dependency issues. I think that this only depends on how parents are treating their child.