My toddler kid is acting really, really strange lately. He is having some weird situations and lately, he started to have some nightmares. He is waking up a couple of times during the night, he is screaming and I really don't know what is happening to him. I have tried to talk to him, but nothing, of course. So, I google a little bit about it and my research led me to this forum. Is it possible that my kid has separation anxiety disorder? What are the signs and symptoms of separation anxiety in toddlers? Please, let me know more about this. 

Hi there! Signs and symptoms of separation anxiety in children are as following:

- the kid is refusing to go to school,

- a kid is always telling their parents that something bad is going to happen,

- he has problems with bed wetting,

- he or she is always telling you about headaches, stomach issues, etc whenever a kid needs to go to school,

- your kid has a huge fear of separation from you,

- a kid is scared of being alone all the time.

Those are just some of the symptoms. May I ask what symptoms did you notice? 

Celebrity

It is true that for several health issues symptoms can vary from one to another, but this is not a case for separation anxiety in toddlers. Or separation anxiety in any case. The most common symptom that you can notice is when the kid is refusing to go to school. Sometimes, parents do believe that a kid is faking, but I want to warn you that kids sometimes don't fake when it comes to this and that you really need to observe it. Anyway, faking is really easy to notice. But a disease is something that you also can notice because your kid is different than usual. 

I understand this. Well, symptoms are really similar to those that you have described. Yes, my kid is refusing to go to school. And yes, like many of other parents I believed that my kid is faking. But I saw that he is absent, I notice that his look is absent and I can see that he is not avoiding school because he doesn't want to get up from the bed or because he is scared that he will come home with some bad grade. I want to try to take him to the psychologist, but I don't know how he would feel about it. Actually, I am scared that he might be mad at me because of this. And I don't know what to do.

Celebrity

Well, definitely you need to try. I know that for kids is weird when you are telling them that they need to visit a psychologist, but you don't need to tell him exactly that. I mean, he is a kid. Maybe you can "trap him" telling him that you are taking him to meet one friend of yours. Trust me, all those experts can make kids believe that they are "chatting" with them and they are doing everything to get to know their problems. I am suggesting you try this and I believe that a kid will open himself to a doctor. Try it, there is nothing you can lose. 

I have to admit that those symptoms are really similar to so many different things that kids actually do when they want to attract attention. That is why I didn't know what is going on with my kid. He had some symptoms that a lot of other kids have done when they want to skip school. I did those things, but my parents never considered me as a sick person. My kid was crying when he needed to go to school, but I believed that he is faking and I was sending him to school all the time until the teacher and the school phycologist told us that our kid has some serious issue. That was a time when we realized that he actually had this type of anxiety.

Hi people, especially parents. I am a school teacher and while I was teaching kids, I learned so many things about those kids. There is a difference when the kid is faking and when the kid is really scared of going to school. You as a parent should see this in your kid's eyes. If the kid is faking, the kid will be fine for a couple of days, this kid is going to be OK a night before the school. But the kid whose is having problems with anxiety will have different reactions. For example, this kid is going to be scared all the time, stressed. You will be able to see the scare in his or hers eyes. Maybe those symptoms are similar to some other symptoms, but you can recognize the separation anxiety easily.