OK, my sister is freaking me out. Apparently, she is having some problems with her youngest kid. I am really surprised about this because her youngest kid is 2 years and three months old and she is telling me that he is really intolerable for the last couple of days. He is crying all the time when they need to go somewhere, he is crying when she needs to go to work, etc. I believe that this kid is spoiled, and I really mean that but my sis is telling me that some her co - worker told her that this kid has signs and symptoms of separation anxiety. What does separation anxiety in toddlers mean?

It is very simple to get this situation clear. From 8 to 14 months, kids or toddlers often become frightened when they meet new people or visit new places. Also, they are scared when they meet new people. Anxiety in children under 10 became very often lately and that is because of a lot of kids, recognize their parents as familiar and safe. When separated from their parents, they feel threatened and unsafe. That is how this type of anxiety develops. It is very hard to find a new person that this kid will be able to trust or to feel safe around this new person. 

I am not trying to attack you or to judge you, but you don't have kids, right? I am asking because I don't see your compassion with them. That is OK, you will learn in time. It is possible that your sister's kid actually has this diagnose. A lot of toddlers have separation anxiety for many reasons. That doesn't mean that they are spoiled. Anyway, as the kid grows, their emotions and reactions to the world around them seem to occur in a predictable order. When they are younger, you are always around them and they don't feel that they are alone. But, as they grow up, parents are trying to put them a little away from them. That becomes a problem in some kids and this usually leads to separation anxiety. It requires medical help like any other behavioral condition. 

Ouch, I feel really bad now because I didn't know that this actually exists. I mean, I was trying to get closer to this kid but I didn't have success. He was crying all the time and I need to admit that this was kind of annoying for me and I told to my sis that I will come to visit them next time when he grows up. I didn't know that this can become a disorder, that this condition is something that needs to be healed. Now, I feel really bad. I mean, what they now need to do about this? Does this kid need some therapy or something similar? Is this dangerous or not? Can it be healed? So many questions, I know...

There is no reason for you to tell that you are sorry, I trust you. But I understand that you don't have this feeling for it, neither do I. But there is one thing that surprised me the most. You said that this kid is 2 years and 3 months old...Well, I was reading that this condition usually ends when the child is around 2 years old which means that this in your niece's case is lasting a little bit longer. I mean, kids are small and silly when they are two years old, but they begin to understand that parents may be out of sight now, but will return later. 

Celebrity

I agree, but that doesn't mean that her sister is late with the treatment. Maybe this kid is one step closer to get well soon. Here is what you can advise your sister to do. If she does this, I am sure that this will stop very soon. Usually, experts say that parents need to do next things so their kids can feel safe and this is the first step that is going to help the get over the separation anxiety: - they need to feel totally safe in their home, no matter how many people are there, - parents need to convince kids that they can trust several people other than their friends, - parents need to find a unique formula that will make their kids sure that they will come back home. 

I had this problem with my kid that started when she was one and a half year old. But I need to admit that I spoiled her and she was always with me, she was even crying when her dad wanted to feed her, to play with her, etc. Anyway, since I went through this I can guarantee that there is no treatment in this case because the treatment is not needed for normal separation anxiety. Why? Because only parents can help their kid or toddler to adjust to their absence by letting trusted caregivers babysit the child. This is the only thing that is going to help their kids to learn that they are safe, no matter because their parents are not there. I took a babysitter and I left my kid with her. First two days she was crying all the time...And later, she got used to her.

Hi. I agree with so many things in there, but I don't agree 100% that there is no treatment needed. Sometimes, treatment is really needed. Sometimes, this condition won't go away and it requires a medical procedure. Well, during that medical procedures, both of parents should go with the child if possible. Why? Because, when parents can't or won't go with the child, they are usually exposing the child to the situation that is worse for them. Sometimes, parents can do a lot about it except being there for their kids. So, since your sister's kid is a little bit older, it requires some treatment. As you can see, this didn't go away.