i still have extreme pain in my back it makes days excruciating to get through, I am still taking hydromorphone and it relieves it for about an hour then I am in Pain.

Please give me some advice

Hi Suzanne,

I know how you feel. I am 16 months post op L4-S1 A/P fusion. I seemed to be getting better, but then tried going back to work part time and it has been down hill since.

I have recently been to a pain management doctor, who has helped me with trigger point & facet joint injections. Have you tried these?

Sorry to hear of your pain :-(

I know this conversation is 4 months old, but i see no one else had answered but one person, so here goes...

I also take hydromorphone, quite a bit of it. If you are in pain one hour after you take it, that is strange because usually it takes an hour or so to even kick in. But.. if you are still in pain an hour or two later, than your are not taking anough. Talk to your doctor and ask him to up your dosage so that the pain is atleast manageable.

Another solution is Hydromorph Contin. This is a controlled release form of hydromorphone designed to last 12 hours, and it actually Does last 12 hours, providing of course that you take an adequate dosgae for your pain level. I use it daily, and it works great for me, thought i do usually end up taking one or more fasst acting tabs through out the day as well. Talk to your doctor. There is no need for you to be suffering unnecessarily. Im sure he or she wil have no problem increasing your dosage, as long as its within a safe level.

Hope i was of some help, and good luck with your pain management!! Justin

Hey all,

I will chime in as well even though this post is old. I had pain in my back for years. Since I was in my early twenties and then the usual donwhill progression over the years until surgery was needed. I have a three level fusion in my lower spine. Had th lamanectomy first and it failed after about six months. I am very lucky to have great results from the fusion approaching one year post op. I still get a twinge of sciatica here and there depending on position but it is not lasting and makes me worry it is all starting again lol. So far not so and it is fleeting.

I took Percs for a long time, Perc is just OXY without the time release......same medicine and you get is all at once instead of time released. Time release works for some but for me my pain was so severe I had to have the full monty right now. I took this along with a long acting morphine pill twice a day. PERC every four hours or six as needed. I was taking 1.5 grams or 15mg every four hours and 30mg morphine every eight or so. This seemed to get me by, in a vegitative state albiet but got me by just the same.

Funny how I thought that was acceptable in regards to the pain level when NOW I am drug free and only take a motrin here and there. What a difference. I know what it is like to be in pain ALL the time and also how those around us are intolerant of it. I also know what it is like to be drugged up all the time and how the meds change ones personality. I wish you all the best and hope for good and quallity healing for you all. Pain management is best left to the pain docs and not a GP or your surgeon. Just my opinion. My pain doc told me he loses about 6 or so a year to overdose on meds. This is apparently acceptable numbers for his business. Just be safe and follow docs orders but do go and complain about the meds and get stronger ones if needed. Just make sure your safety net is in place and the doc monitors you constantly. GOOD LUCK ALL.

Kevin Coleman

i have had a level 2 discecyomy on my l4/l5 l5/s1 about six months ago.the surgery was a success in relation 2 my sciatica and nerve and leg pain.however im getting a constant pain on the other side of my back and getting extensive rehab which helps a lot and i am now back to work,. but as im in the forces carrying weight and loading my back up is unavoidable. i was wondering is there anyone that has been in a similar situation,if so how did they overcome or cope with it? and have they any advise or certain stretches that helped?