Hello! I have got hydronephrosis. I have severe pains in my right side. In the past I had problem with ureteral stone. My doctor suspects now that ureteral stone blocked urethra now and that it is cause of my hydronephrosis. I want to know if this is true. I hope that you will know something more then I do about this subject.

Hello! Unfortunately, your doctor may be right. You will need to do blood, urine and ultrasound tests. After these exams you will know for sure. I think that you have problem with obstruction in urethral meatus. You will need to treat ureteral stone. When you get rid of it, you will get rid of hydronephrosis.

Hello there Ben,

I completely agree with Hervey!

Kidney stone is the most common cause among intrinsic causes of hydronephrosis. Kidney stone causes obstruction of the ureter and this is probably what has happened in your case.

The kidney stone blocks the path of the urine on its way to the urethra and if the stone is stuck there the urine will go back and cause the kidney to swell.

So first your doctor needs to confirm this by doing some tests and analysis and afterwards he will decide on a best treatment option. Probably he will suggest the best option which will depends on the size of the stone. Afterwards you will get rid of hydronephrosis as well.