Hi! Please, can somebody explain something to me! I've just heard that my cousin have hydronephrosis. I know that hydronephrosis is kind of kidney disorder. I started to worry a lot but I don't know do I really need to. Maybe I'm panicing too much. Tell me, what are the consequences of hydronephrosis? Thanks!

You probably know that hydronephrosis often causes kidney infection. But you don't need to panic. If your cousin started to treat hydronephrosis on time, everything will be ok. Only if hydronephrosis is not treated promptly, it can damage a kidney severely or cause kidney failure. It can be acute or chronic and their medical treatments are different.

Hello there margeaux,

As roley has said to you already there is no need to panic. Your cousin is suffering from a treatable condition which is related to the kidneys. Causes of hydronephrosis are various and once the cause is treated this condition is going to be resolved as well.

Sometimes it is very simple cause of this like a kidney stone which has made an obstruction and this is preventing urine to flow in the urethra and because of the blockage it is going back and causing the swelling of the kidney. If this is in question the doctor will first treat kidney stone and once this problem is solved the hydronephrosis is gone as well. Your cousin is going to be just fine.

i am a dr ..roley is saying right but if u r on treatment its good if not then cousult a dr u need to diagnose the cause of hydronephrosis bcz if a stone in ureter a passage from kidney to urinary bladder u need to remove it first and if any infectiona or congenital stenosis of ureter back flux of urine can cause hydronephrosis so u need antibiotic to treat the infection and to treat the pain need diclofenic acid in mine country a brand is nospa 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

marci need urs help