Please, can somebody tell me something more about unilateral hydronephrosis. Is it asymptomatic? Son of my really good friend has it. He didn't have any typical symptoms. Her doctor said that he needs a specific medical treatment immediately. I know that unilateral hydronephrosis can be very dangerous and now I'm worried. Thanks!

Well, hydronephrosis isn't a specific disease, but a sign of an underlying problem, like kidney or ureteral stone or a blood clot or even tumor. Unilateral hydronephrosis occurs when a single kidney becomes distended or swollen due to a backup of urine. It may develop suddenly and sometimes there are no symptoms.

Hi Walt,

As Benson has already told you hydronephrosis is a condition that occurs with a disease you already have. So your friend probably suffers from some kind of urinary tract issue and unfortunately she or he has developed hydronephrosis. Unilateral hydronephrosis is a condition that affects about 1 in 100 people and common symptoms are:  flank pain, abdominal mass, nausea and vomiting, UTI, fever and painful urination.

But be aware that sometimes unilateral hydronephrosis has no symptoms at all.

Treatment options for unilateral hydronephrosis usually depend on what is causing the kidney swelling. But most common treatment options are:  ureteral stent, this is the tube that allows the ureter to drain into the bladder, nephrostomy tube which allows the blocked urine to drain through the back and of course antibiotics for various infections.