Hello, folks. I have been diagnosed with kidney stones. I know that they can be moved surgically, but I am more interested in using ultrasound as a therapy for calculosis. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me something more about this. Thank you in advance for all your replies.

Hi, there. Ultrasound can be used for treating calculosis. This treatment option is also known as extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy (ESWL). It is used for ureteral and renal stones. It is mostly recommended for stones smaller than 2 cm in diameter. If there is any urinary infection or uncorrected obstruction distal of the stone, then it is contraindicated. If the stone is bigger, there is a greater chance for needing another treatment. You should discuss these details with your doctor. I hope this helps. Good luck with all!